Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, thanks to all who post information here and those who replied to me.

We (dad, sis, I) fished Geneva friday for first time over east. Late start, went straight out looking for marks, none found so put lines out 10:00am at N-42.00 W 81.00. We picked 1 -28" right away, then took till 1:00 to get a 2nd one. Had to leave lake at 2:00pm so that was it. NE wind and waves gave us fits. Probably should have trolled with waves instead of NE. Boat was slewing with compass heading NE but GPS trail due North.

Question - How do you locate the fish before fishing? should I have kept looking for good marks before starting to troll? I ran 20mph to coordinates where fish were day or 2 earlier. Slowed to 15mph and occasionally to 5mph just to make sure not missing them. I am still learning how to read the LCX28C at speed. Settings are factory/auto. I could see my perch rig going up and down clearly last time out. We searched for about hour, heading N-NE toward the lines reported for Bula. Was not seeing much of anything, no bait clouds, or large fish marks, occasionally small marks on bottom especially in the 45-50fow range.

I have been out walleye trolling only 3 times this year, At Kelley's Island in May we had good marks all the time under us for 1 fish. Posts that weekend, everybody had tough time catching fish. At Lorain sandbar and out to weather buoy, never found good marks but 3 of us managed 8 eyes and 48 very large white bass just trolling the Canadian line N-NE then south. Was a good day. Last Geneva, no marks, but did pick up 2 large eyes.

I have been trying to be patient and use the electronics to find the fish before fishing. Has my experience been typical?, what should I be doing different? I hope to get one more shot at the Geneva/Bula pack next week or 2. After that it will be Huron/Catawba in November-December.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Chris

Understanding and operating your fish finder is one biggest pieces of the puzzle out there. First of all you wanna make sure your transducer is mounted and angled correctly so that you are marking fish. You should also be able to see fish on your screen at low plaining speeds. However, at these speeds your finder will not have arches but blips on your screen. The blips are on your screen at high speeds because your ducer doesn't see all of the return sonar at high spreeds. Once, you catching eyes take. Ote of what your marks look like. So next time hour lookn, you know what your looking for..

Secondly be sure your reels are calibrated correctly. Fill your spools to 1/8" of the top of the spool. If not your line counters will not be accurate. You will be off your target depth.

As fare as looking for marks before setting up. I always look before we set up shop. It takes quite some time to put a spread out. Let alone to bring it back in and do it again in an area with fish. If I don't have marks we move on...

Conny amd Bula have tons of fish righ now. Starting at about the 1N to the 4N. Working from a specific set of number from days previous is pointless. Fish move over night.

Trolling into a stiff NE wind is very difficult and uncomfortable. I don't care to do it. Sometimes a change up of troll direction will trigger bites due to subsurface currents. Typically, if I wanna fish a particular area and the wind is between me and that spot I will run past it and turn around so the wind is at my back.

Search reading fish finders and calibrating reels in this forum. Should help a lot.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I almost always start off trolling with the waves and go from there...also, make sure your fishing above the fish. This year it seems I could run my lures 10' to 15' above the fish and did quite well out of Bula and surrounding area's. Also, once you find the fish, you've got to stay on em. The best advice I can give is to watch for open seats and take people up in their offers or go out on a charter to learn...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
I try to explain to guys who fish with me that is easy to go past fish and not even know it....Being able to read YOUR graph is important...I have a Furano..very easy to read and picks fish up at high speeds...some graphs will only show marks under 10 mph.???

In your case it sounds like you just where not on them??? There is always a stray eye or two cruising the bottom out there...you might have just ran over them?? If there are no fish showing up on your LC and you have it at AUTO settings......then there aint no fish there...;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts