close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

finding and catching bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lrgmouth77, May 27, 2004.

1. Hello everyone, I just started bass fishing here not too long ago. I really dont know what im doing, just trying to read up and learn what i can. Im pretty sure they are in post spawn now but i dont have a clue really where to find them. Ive been trying outside and around the mouths of coves and fishing point with little to no success. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what lures/colors and techniques I could try to get some largemouth or especially some smallmouth in the boat. What I have been doing is not working out and im new here but it seems that there are some very educated indivuals on this website who could help out.

thanks all, look forward to reading your replys !!

lrgmouth77

2. Welcome abord. You should find plenty of help here. I personally can't help you out with lakes because I do the vast majority of my bass fishing in private ponds. The bass should be done spawning now, I caught some last week from pond and they didn't look they had eggs in them.
    I caught them all on 6 inch plastic lizard close to shore. I would suggest maybe some crankbaits or spinnerbaits on lakes, something you can cover water with. If they are done spawning in lakes, you should be able to find them on points and breaks close to coves and spawning areas. I hope someone else can help you out more, this is just my 2 cents worth!

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

put on a 5" Senko and let the bass find you ! ;) :D

I'd check the first bit of deeper water adjacent to shallow spawning areas. Twitching a Senko near the bottom will get you bit.
    EH

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

After the spawn, you'll do good on most any lure. Spinnerbaits are good close to shore as well as slow rolling them in deeper water. Lizards or rubber worms work well after spawn as the bass are guarding their fry and beds. Cranks in Craw color, Shad color and Fire tiger are always good after the spawn also. Fish slow and watch for shad, or bait fish on top of the water, this will tell you the bass are feeding after the spawn. This is a great time to catch some very aggressive bass. Good luck. Also Welcome to our site. Yes you will get answers here.

5. JBJ

JBJ

This is a good time to hunt for bass with firetiger pattern, shallow running crankbaits. Cover lots of water until you catch one. Then it's time to slow down and pick apart the area you caught it in. I recommend Bandit Footloose and 100's for searching, and then I like to throw white or chartreuse spinnerbaits depending on the cover and water clarity. If I slow down enough for some heavy cover flipping, it's plastics in rootbear with chartreuse tails/legs/pinchers.

This is one of many plans of attack you will get on this thread. Find the one that works for you. Good luck.

6. First of all... Welcome to Ohiogamefishing Lrgmouth77. I was wondering what water you are fishing? River, lake? Its really surprising how different they can be. I am sure you can get some good advice from alot of guys on here. I like top water alot. Pop-R's black and silver in color is what i use alot. Myself i like white spinner baits and buzz baits the most. Sometime I will use white and chartreuse spinner baits. Jig and pig is also good. With all the fronts moving through right now I would work alot of different types of cover. You
    just got to keep trying different things until you find what works best for you. Everyone has their own favorite type of bait. I can't touch DaleM with crank baits. I even went and bought the same kind of reel, rod, line. He STILL kicks my butt when using a crank bait. We run the S/T Bass Tournaments at Griggs Dam and O'Shaughnessy Reservior. Stop down sometime at weigh-in and see whats caught. We have alot of great guys that fish this tournament. We all try to have a good time while fishing.

See ya on the water sometime
    GarryS

7. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

I agree with Garys recipe for bass. The baits he had mentioned are amoung my favorites. I also like the Lizards worked slow along the bottom especially if you can find their beds. Salamanders are notorious for eating the eggs and the bass know this (they also taste good so I'm told) . If you can agrivate a bass it will bite. I say try and mix it up,baits,speed,area,etc.. Until you find fish. Also keep mental notes of where when and how you caught bass and it will come in handy next year. Oh yes one more thing, welcome aboard. :)