Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out fishing the LMR under the newtown bridge. Did not have any success there, moved on out towards Beechmont and fished it there. Fished for about 15 minutes and caught 2 white bass and 1 spotted bass. Came back about 30 minutes later and caught 4 more spotted bass and 10 more white bass. All the white bass were caught on a small rattle trap. All the spots were caught on a green rooster tails and a green maribou jig. Can't wait until im back out this week and fishing the river. Didn't think id have a day like this without a boat. One guy walked past me with a stringer full of stripers. They all appeared to be at least 12-15lbs a piece. I was in shock that someone was only 1/2 a mile away and was pulling out fish that size with a larger bait then what I was using but the same thing.

Jake

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Skizzy, that wasn't Don by any chance was it? He knows where and how to catch big wipers from the LMR.
Did you see the stringer of wipers from the Beechmont access, or at Newtown?
LMJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rock on Skizzy!!! Great to hear you had a money day.

I always appreciate your reports and enthusiasm - even when your not catching fish ;) It's good to hear your skills are improving and perseverance has paid off. Gives me hope for fish in my future to hear you had a good day.

Doug (aka Cliftondad)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
i cant believe someone was keeping those fish outa the river, i release every one i catch and the state is to clueless to put limits on fish in our river systems, he's lucky he didnt walk by me with those fish

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped fishing around 9ish just as the fish started jumping like crazy. I wish I would have brought some cat rods with me or atleast some nightcrawlers. A guy that was fishing next to me caught a LARGE carp. He was definetly not interested in it, But I sure was. Hopefully I can catch one of those soon.

Jake

·
Registered
16 Posts
I floated the EFLMR on Sunday, put my pond prowler in by clermont county jail and ended up down at Milford sand volleyball 8 hours later. Wow, what a long day, I was sunburnt and exhausted by the end of the day !! Ended up with a couple nice fish and about 15 little ones. All were on the rebel craw, even the sheephead or drum. What do you call that fish around here ? It looks like a silver carp. I always heard that they were called drums ?? These pictures are from my phone so... not much in quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome fish. I wish I would have caught a smallie out of the bunch yesterday. All this talk on the forum lately has given me the smallie itch. I enjoy catching spotted bass though seeing the differences between them. I need to see if I have anymore rebel craws. When I used them last year they just didn't seem effective in the water not sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now it makes me think that I should of used a rattletrap !! I tore up the striper in December. I had a pumpkin color tube, terminator spinner, white rooster tail and the rebel craw. And I caught fish on everyone of those, so I didn't know which one to throw consistantly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats how I felt yesterday. I was throwing the rattletrap for about 15-20 casts per whitebass. Couldn't get a bite other than the whites on the rattle. It was weird though I expected to catch some whites off the green or white rooster tails. SHAD everywhere so I tried casting along the rocks along the bank through the shad and thats how I was catching the spots.

Jake

·
Registered
508 Posts
I took the yak out on the LMR near S. Lebanon Sunday and did pretty well on the smallies, they were not hanging around "typical" feeding areas with a lot of current but in more slack water - I think they are getting ready to get on the beds. Most of the fish I caught came on a flat European jerkbait I picked up in Holland, worked fast with big rips that made it slash pretty good side to side. Lost a really nice spotted bass next to the yak. Also lost what I think was a pretty big saugeye on a rattle trap; he never let me get a look at him. Nicest thing was that since I put in below the canoe rental places, I had the whole river to myself for 4 hrs!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Brian, I remember our trip last year, the last leg lot's of canoes and kayaks!
Glad you got on them this time out, we did ok, but could have been better.
LMJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts