Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember (I mentioned it in previous pages) I'm hosting an event for the company I do volunteer work for, and it's tomorrow and I'm super excited! Unfortunately, I'm not going to get the attendance I expected, and one of the side effects of that is I can't have the myriad of bait options I originally had in mind, I have to be more concise, which is where I could use some advice.

Catfish and carp I know very well, though if someone could point me to an area on Alum where I can catch some fresh shad (I have a cast net) that would be appreciated. We have a boat... err canoe at our disposal if need be.

Bluegill will eat anything, but when I do, rarely, decide to catch some bluegill in NE Ohio I have always used wax worms, do they work well in Alum as well?

I don't ever really fish for crappie, but in case someone wants to, minnows under a bobber seems to be the popular choice?

Basically right now the list I have includes: Nightcrawlers, shad, some sort of stink bait if I can find a good one, corn, wax worms, minnows, maybe some rubber worms for LMB, and maybe chicken liver. Certainly for some species, lures are a better bet, but to me it seems like that list should be able to catch just about everything in the lake, any other suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you have a lot of people who don't fish the options you have will increase the success rates. Make sure you keep your bait cool,because in the heat things die fast and worms become goo. Wax worms are always good for bluegill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wax worms always do well when I'm fishing for bluegill for bait or take my daughter fishing. I've caught plenty of crappie as well as larger blue gill on minnows plenty of times. As for stink bait, the only stuff I've ever had good luck on is Lucky 7 stink bait by team catfish. I use that stink bait or liver for channels. The stink bait normally catches smaller 1lb cats while the liver gets the larger cats. Shad also works great for cats and I have caught tons of cats on fresh cut shad. I normally have issues with night crawlers because the blue gill pick at the night crawlers before anything larger can hook into it. As for rubber worms ya can't go wrong with a texas rigged worm crawled slowly on bottom or even jigged off the bottom. I prefer a darker worm and have had a lot of success on dark purple worms. Easy to fish as well, just cast and slowly retrieve. Good luck and hope you guys have fun!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna be a long one, sorry

@bcrowe2012 - thanks for the info, I did get it before I got on the lake just didn't reply until not. I do have slightly different catfish experiences than you though. Usually a good stink bait outfishes other stuff in terms of numbers, but not size, and live bait better for size. I have used liver plenty of times, but white bass will eat it faster than anything, and I've never caught any catfish over a lb and a half on it.

@Bigcatfan - I have never had luck with shrimp and I don't know why. I used garlicy and plain, shell on and off, but I know people catch catfish with it (and wipers too)

@Carprule - I like this idea a lot lol, I fish for carp on a regular basis and corn is pretty much all I ever use. I knew a guy who used generic Corn Pops and caught more carp than anyone I saw. I (now) usually chum with corn too.

...And finally the report! Water was high, and it was pretty hot outside. Fished all over the lake (Howard, 36/37, Marina, Chesire) with with 2 Bluegill (both on wax worms) and a what I believe to be a rather large minnow (it looked just like the ones you buy for bait, but it was 3-4in long, roughly the size of my index finger) also on wax worms. We talked to a bunch of people everywhere we went, and no one seemed to be having any luck.

That being said the event was super fun! I successfully casted a line (no hook, just a sinker) into my buddy's canoe, from 50-60ft out and then reeled it in. We climbed on stuff, fell in the water a lot, and mostly goofed around after we weren't catching anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.