Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG,,, I JUST WONDER,,,, HOW MUCH WAS THE 'GRANT', NEEDED TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT!!??
Wouldn't it be more helpful to put a lid on a spewing VOLCANO?????

So, when the farmers pile up their manure, & turn the 'thanes' into a usable energy source,, ,,,
ARE WE WINNING THE WAR OR NOT!?

AND,
then why in hell are we getting rid of our LEACH BEDS, & going to chipper-shredder-aerator tanks??? That black goo that comes out by the street, STINKS!

Sometimes, I get so confused,,,,,,,,,,, ;>)

A herd of “clever cattle” in Germany have successfully been potty-trained and can now relieve themselves in a designated area nicknamed the “MooLoo,” scientists say — a move that they hope will help lower greenhouse gas emissions amid the global warming crisis.

a cow standing on top of a metal fence: A screenshot taken from video received on Sept. 13, 2021 from the Research Institute for Farm Animal Biology shows an urinating cow in a latrine pen in New Zealand.
©

There are an estimated 1.4 billion cows on Earth and they happen to emit a lot of harmful waste products — through burping, urination and defecating — making the animals a major driver of climate change.

Their frequent urination produces 55 to 110 gallons of methane each day and contains nitrogenous components that pollute Earth’s streams and rivers, make the waters dangerous for people to swim in or drink from, and pose a risk to wildlife.

The University of Auckland joined forces with scientists at a research laboratory in Germany for an experiment that would allow the cow’s urine to be collected, treated and neutralized — so it poses less of a risk.

According to researchers, 11 out of 16 calves were taught to use the MooLoo in just 15 training sessions — a result they said compares favorably to the amount of time it takes to toilet-train 3-to-4-year-old children.

“The common perception is that cows are placid, lovable, but perhaps not as bright as other animals,” said Lindsay Matthews, a New Zealand-based animal behavioral expert and one of the lead authors of the study. “The cute thing here is that the animals are causing a problem, because of [intensive] farming practices. And here, we can have them as part of the solution, by using their underestimated intellect.”

During the training process, the animals were rewarded with a sweet treat when they urinated exactly where they were supposed to go — in a special pen installed in their barn. If they toileted outside of the area they were offered a mild punishment: a short burst of water.

a herd of cattle standing on top of a grass covered field: This undated handout photo received on Sept. 13, 2021 from the Research Institute for Farm Animal Biology shows researcher Lindsay Matthews posing next to cows at a farm at an undisclosed location in New Zealand.
©

As the experiment continued, the animals continued to enter the “MooLoo,” building a habit, the researchers said, a sight they celebrated, given that past efforts to toilet-train cattle had not been entirely successful.

“Within one or two urinations, most of the animals were walking down the alleyway, pushing open the door and going into the toilet,” said Matthews. The researcher, who grew up on a dairy farm, said that it would be “nice if cows can be seen in a bit better light through this sort of research” — given the bad rap they’ve had lately due to the long list of problems that farming poses for the planet.

The authors of the report said that the calves “showed a level of performance comparable to that of children and superior to that of very young children.”

However, experts point out it will take more than trained calves and “MooLoos” to save the planet.

Andrew Knight, a veterinary professor of animal welfare at England’s University of Winchester, told The Washington Post in an email that while the idea “sounds nice in theory,” it would “do little to prevent the major contributions to climate change” because the world’s reliance on intensive livestock production — including milk and dairy — is far too great.

Knight, who was not involved with the MooLoo experiment, added that “nitrous oxide is a very potent greenhouse gas, with 296 times as much global warming potential as CO2,” and livestock produces “more greenhouse gases, than all the cars, trucks, planes in the world, combined.”

Knight also pointed out that the technology and skills needed to neutralize damaging components in cow waste come at a financial cost too great for many of the world’s farmers.

“Much more drastic steps are required, if we are to have any realistic chance of avoiding global climate breakdown in the medium-term future,” he warned.

For places like the Netherlands, however, which is considering plans to force hundreds of farmers to cut livestock numbers to reduce damaging ammonia pollution, the financial upside of training cows to pee in a toilet is that they could sustain bigger herds, Matthews said.

The country has been grappling with what officials are calling a “nitrogen crisis” — where livestock manure, when mixed with urine, releases ammonia, a nitrogen compound that can get into lakes and streams via farm runoff, damaging natural habitats and causing algal blooms. Officials have proposed reducing livestock numbers by 30 percent, one of the most radical plans of its kind.

“If you had to lose 30 percent of your animals or you had to collect 50 percent of your urine, that’s a potential trade-off that could be made that you can retain more animals if you can collect the urine,” Matthews said.

One final caveat — the experiment did not involve training cows to poop in a specific location, but this is something that may be tested in future.

Matthews said the idea now is to expand the research into how to make the toilet-training techniques scalable — something he thinks could be more easily achieved in places like the United States where cattle are often reared in feedlots, meaning the animals wouldn’t need to go as far to use the bathroom compared with pastoral farming.

He is also discussing a different toilet-training approach with New Zealand’s powerful dairy industry, where cows can spend much of their day grazing in fields. The country’s lush countryside has helped transform the nation into one of the world’s top dairy exporters — but, as in the Netherlands, the farming has led to the environmental pollution of waterways. One possible solution? To train the animals to hold on between twice-daily milking sessions, so they can use “MooLoos” located alongside the barn.

Researchers say that even if they could collect 10 or 20 percent of global cow urinations, it would be sufficient to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and nitrate leaching significantly. Nitrous oxide, a long-lived greenhouse gas 300 times as potent as carbon dioxide, accounts for 12 percent of New Zealand’s greenhouse gas emissions — and much of it comes from the agricultural sector.

“It could be a way to reach [environmental] targets without having to reduce animals in the process,” Matthews said.

Read more:

Are my hamburgers hurting the planet?

Turning manure into money

Kangaroo farts not as environmentally friendly as previously thought

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
I say Bull.........

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,844 Posts
Be careful with ideas like that. Someone else may come up with an idea to close all hunting seasons and make them buy beef instead of eating venison.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
How are they collecting the methane from the cow’s asses while out in the pasture chewing their cud? Smdh

Global warming has been debunked so it’s climate change now. Been changing since the day the earth was born. If it had stayed the same as day 1, we wouldn’t be here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
First off until China and the rest of the third world countries are forced to establish a cleaner environment, no matter what we do won’t have any impact on pollution. You don’t even hear anyone talking about these major countries polluting our environment, and that’s exactly how you know it’s definitely not for real. The next thing there are billions of people releasing these so called gases, and no one’s talking about reducing the people population by at least 30%. It is all smoking guns and mirrors to fleece the true Americans of their freedoms and money.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Outlaw Beans.......

• Haha
Reactions: BuckeyeFishin07

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off until China and the rest of the third world countries are forced to establish a cleaner environment, no matter what we do won’t have any impact on pollution. You don’t even hear anyone talking about these major countries polluting our environment, and that’s exactly how you know it’s definitely not for real. The next thing there are billions of people releasing these so called gases, and no one’s talking about reducing the people population by at least 30%. It is all smoking guns and mirrors to fleece the true Americans of their freedoms and money.
I disagree.. we can do all types of things to help reduce pollution,.. Adding to the mess doesn't get us any closer to having a more clean environment. Making things worse is a good thing to you I guess? Maybe we should stop constructing all these wetlands in ohio that we've lost due to development and just let the lake turn into a puddle of urine and cowshit.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I disagree.. we can do all types of things to help reduce pollution,.. Adding to the mess doesn't get us any closer to having a more clean environment. Making things worse is a good thing to you I guess? Maybe we should stop constructing all these wetlands in ohio that we've lost due to development and just let the lake turn into a puddle of urine and cowshit.
Nice twist on what he posted.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It's all a worldwide money and power grab. Have we humans contributed to the pollution? Yes. Can we change some of that? Yes. Can we change the fact the Earth and its climate is changing? NO! It was here long before us and will be long after us. It will still change after we're gone. It is incredibly naive and vain to think we are going to be here forever. When Ma Nature gets tired of our sorry asses, she will terminate us with extreme prejudice. We can try to treat her more gently but that is not what the power hungry want to do. They want to control 100% of your life to the extent that it isn't worth living. Gonna give up fishing, hunting, driving, keeping yourself warm in the winter, cool in the summer? Thought not. Some of the "fixes" are more deterimental to the Earth than what we have now. Wind turbines are an ecological disaster waiting to happen. Electric vehicles? Zero emissions from them but what about the mining of lithium? Disposal of the batteries after 30K miles? Add to that the push to stop taking any life, be it fish, animals, etc. for human consumption. A lot to think about. Part of me wishes I had more days ahead than behind. Part, not so much, when you think about what lies ahead. Ok, end of rant...been a damn long day, longer week. Time for a beer, shot, whatever your particular tastes are. Cheers!

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,844 Posts
Nice twist on what he posted.
Maybe, maybe not. The Paris Climate Accords were nothing more than a mechanism to let China off scot free, and stick us with the bill! When that accord was signed China was opening a new coal-fired electric generating plant a week! I heard an interview on the radio with the Son of a GM executive who had been transferred to China to get the Chinese production of GM vehicles off the ground. They lived in Shanghai, and the kid said that he hadn't seen the Sun since they'd been there. And it had been over a year! They had to wear masks when they went outside, because the air was nearly unbreathable.

Let's face facts here. China is a dirty country that doesn't give a crap about the environment, unless it's inside their borders. And there are a lot of others like them. It puzzles me why some Americans have such a poor self image. No nation on this planet had done more to reduce emissions, and recycle that we have! So much so that China started refusing our recyclables a few years back! They couldn't keep up with us!

As far as first, Global Warming, and now, "Climate Change". Anytime anyone tried to come at me with those, I ask them to tell the times when the Earth's climate was unchanging! Then, they talk about the sea levels rising, which they are. You have to admit actual data. The thing is, the sea levels have been rising since the end of the Younger Dryas period 11,600 years ago, when it is estimated that sea levels were some 400 feet below current day. That coincides with the end of the last ice age.

Where did all that water go? It went into the 2 mile thick slabs of ice covering much of the northern hemisphere! Then it melted and refilled the oceans. Somebody mentioned Lake Erie turning into a mud flat. It will eventually, but nowhere near our lifetimes.

That won't happen until Niagara Falls erodes its way back to the mouth of Lake Erie. Which it has been doing since it was discovered. It will take a very long time, but, it will happen. That is, unless future engineers figure out how to arrest such developments. Considering the scale of the operation, I can't imagine it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's all a worldwide money and power grab. Have we humans contributed to the pollution? Yes. Can we change some of that? Yes. Can we change the fact the Earth and its climate is changing? NO! It was here long before us and will be long after us. It will still change after we're gone. It is incredibly naive and vain to think we are going to be here forever. When Ma Nature gets tired of our sorry asses, she will terminate us with extreme prejudice. We can try to treat her more gently but that is not what the power hungry want to do. They want to control 100% of your life to the extent that it isn't worth living. Gonna give up fishing, hunting, driving, keeping yourself warm in the winter, cool in the summer? Thought not. Some of the "fixes" are more deterimental to the Earth than what we have now. Wind turbines are an ecological disaster waiting to happen. Electric vehicles? Zero emissions from them but what about the mining of lithium? Disposal of the batteries after 30K miles? Add to that the push to stop taking any life, be it fish, animals, etc. for human consumption. A lot to think about. Part of me wishes I had more days ahead than behind. Part, not so much, when you think about what lies ahead. Ok, end of rant...been a damn long day, longer week. Time for a beer, shot, whatever your particular tastes are. Cheers!
Thank you for making sense, that’s extremely difficult for a lot of people.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,074 Posts
This whole thread brings up a most important question when it comes to emissions and climate change...
...do fish fart?
Yes...this very important question needs to be answered and when I become POTUS...the first day in office will consist of signing my first executive order be the implementation of a multimillion $ contract (financed with your tax $'s) to a company of my choosing (naturally will be the company that donated the most to my campaign fund) that will perform studies on fish farting, the affects farting fish have on our climate...as well as how we can bottle these fish farts and turn them into a source of productive energy.
PS...while it may be increasingly more economically difficult for the working man during this time due to rising taxes of everyday commodities to support this desperately needed study...please remember when looking at the reduced/dwindling spendable income of your paycheck that your tax $'s are hard at work.
Thanks for your support...

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
This whole thread brings up a most important question when it comes to emissions and climate change...
...do fish fart?
Yes...this very important question needs to be answered and when I become POTUS...the first day in office will consist of signing my first executive order be the implementation of a multimillion $ contract (financed with your tax $'s) to a company of my choosing (naturally will be the company that donated the most to my campaign fund) that will perform studies on fish farting, the affects farting fish have on our climate...as well as how we can bottle these fish farts and turn them into a source of productive energy.
PS...while it may be increasingly more economically difficult for the working man during this time due to rising taxes of everyday commodities to support this desperately needed study...please remember when looking at the reduced/dwindling spendable income of your paycheck that your tax $'s are hard at work.
Watch out, the Mods might delete your post for being political

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
'Super Moderator'
13,074 Posts
Watch out, the Mods might delete your post for being political

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up Misdirection.
Am tryin very hard to get political threads to be allowed by the time my POTUS campaign kicks off.
Seein how important all this farting is...especially fish farting...Can I count on you for your vote?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
...do fish fart?
Do you have any idea how many fish farts it's going to take to fill a bottle? Come on man! That plan will never fly.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,074 Posts
Do you have any idea how many fish farts it's going to take to fill a bottle? Come on man! That plan will never fly.
Nope...don't know.
Will leave all that info up to the company that's given the multi million$ study contract.
One thing I'll almost be able to insure is that when the company gets all its data and results finalized...those results will be made public in such a way that it will make all tax payers feel all warm and fuzzy inside just knowing that they...through all their sacrifices of eating Bologna instead of steaks whilst donating their hard earned tax $'s...had a part in contributing to the findings of this most important conundrum.
Thanks in advance for your vote...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts