close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally dumping AOL........

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Alwsfishin, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

Well I'm gonna do it ....despite the complaints from the family....I've been using Firefox for a few months and set up a homepage on yahoo with 75% of the info being fishing....and its all at no cost.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on using yahoo for email and surfing?

thanks in advance

2. I Did Have Problems With Aol Too..but After I Got A New Computer Most Of It Was Fixed..im On 9.0 Now An It Seems Better

3. Alwsfishin

Hi there Richard !!!....hope your doin fine....

its not so much the problems...it mostly the $200+ a year....when I can get a faster more efficient service for free....I just bought a new puter also ....beefed up too....and have the highest speed internet from WOW cable and the pages still take several seconds to load to much of the time...

4. Im Doing Better Frank Thanks For Asking
    4 Weeks Was A Long Stay
    Which One Are You Using Is Free?
    I Like The Way Aol Is Set Up..i Complained To Em Sometimes And Always Got Free Mos.for My Troubles

5. Alwsfishin

Glad to hear that !!..........Mozilla Firefox.........Its like Microsofts I/Explorer...which I wanted to get away from using also....there is a post in here referring to virus's being targeted at MicroS IE....

6. I love yahoo and use SBCYahoo for my ISP too

7. You will be rather happy with Firefox. As you mentioned you will be able to better avoid the spyware there than IE. I use Yahoo for an e-mail account and have no problems whatsoever. And it is really nice because it gives you portability of your e-mail. You can hop on from anyone's system to check your messages.

8. how do you figure it will be free? Dont you still need a provider to log on? I have msn and have been looking to dump it also.

9. Alwsfishin

I still pay for my high speed connection....but the 20.00 a month for aol will be history...

10. Alwsfishin,

You are doing the right thing dropping AOL so long as it costs anything above free if you are already paying for a high speed connection. There are just plenty of e-mail/web mail options out there for you (Yahoo, MSN, OGF, etc.). And the browser itself is something that is free as well so that leaves no benefit to AOL beyond their connectivity options. I don't think you will find that you miss it at all. It may just be a difference in feel for a little while.

11. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

what operating system are you using?

if your running win98 or ME you need to adjust your RWIN window (packet recieve size).....going from dial-up to high-speed you will need to change this.

If your on win2000 or XP its automatically adjusted by the OS.

post back if your on 98 or ME and i'll point you to RWIN adjuster proggy..... ;)

edit: oh, and congrats on dumping that virus of a ISP..... heh

12. Alwsfishin

Thanks LT.........XP used here........bkr I've been trying to switch for 2 yrs. ......I do all the surfing and the family just does mail....