close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FINALLY - Crushed my old personal best last night!!

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Fishman, May 30, 2005.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I am so happy to finally be making this post. I knew it would be sooner or later. My time spent scouting paid off big for me tonight!

First off, let me explain the situation. When it comes to going out fishing I'm about as thourgh as it gets. I check all my stuff 3 times, to make sure that when I get where I'm going I have everything I need to make it an enjoyable trip.

Well I was suppose to fish with Jack and Bryan tonight, but a friend of mine whom I had made plans with wanted to come down. All was well, Jack was more than happy to accomodate us. Then my friend threw the curve ball - my girlfriend wants to come I didn't want to impede on Jack and Bryan by bringing a crowd so I backed out last minute. Sorry guys!

But I decided it would make a good double date type of thing and take my girlfriend along as well, as she has never gotten to see what its like to pull an all nighter fishing for cats. We're on locataion at about 7PM. Lots of live hybrid gills with us. I tried netting some shad as soon as I got there but I couldn't find them for the life of me. After being there for about an hour my friends clicker goes off. Reels in a 5lb flathead on live a live hybrid gill. This is good, I've been told by a member of the boards flatheads don't exsist in this body of water. Okay, so it's offical there are flatheads there. Okay now time to take some photos with my digital camera. Slide open the lense cover - nothing happens... My girlfriend then proceeds to tell me that she FORGOT to put the battery back in it!!!!! Wow, was I upset, not really mad, but just upset. This is because my friend is a writer and a photographer and has his 10 zillion dollar camera with him. No worries, if we catch a big fish I'll just have to wait for him to scan the slides then I can post the pictures. He snaps a few photos with no problems and we let the fish go.

About another hour passes, his girlfriend hooks up with a better fish on cut bait. This time a 10lb flathead. Interesting enough this fish was either getting ready to spawn or was coming off of spawn. It had the tell tale sores right above its dorsal where it had been rubbing. This fish was pretty skinny too. We snap a few photos with his camera with no problems and let it go.

A few more hours pass, I get I nice steady run on a live hybrid gill. I'll let him run a bit, lock it down, and set the hook with all the might I can muster. I stopped using circle hooks on live baits, I just don't have any faith in them in that department. Anways, when I set the hook it's like hooking into a tree, only I can sense movement. For once, I'm not burried in a tree! On top of this, from the hours past I had pretty much came to the conclusion that this area was pretty much devoid of snags. I know this fish it big though, my rods doubled over. This fish is going to beat 21lbs 1 oz no problem, now I just have to land it. Call me crazy, but I was litterally shaking. Not feeling rushed, I played the fish like they should be played and didn't just horse him in. Not that it was an option, he took me on several nice runs, but most of the time he just stayed where he wanted too. I got him close to the bank, and I started walking out in the water with my net (the water at the bank is an inch deep so theres no way you can stay dry here to land a big fish), I hand my friend the rod and tell him I'll gladly net my own fish this way if something goes wrong its my fault. As soon as I step into the water he surges off again. More fighting ensues. Again I get him close to the bank, back into the water I go and back off he goes. Once again I get him to the back, and at exactly 1AM this morning, I have officially caught my new personal best flathead :
    42 lbs 9 oz

I bring the net ashore, open his mouth, touch the hook and it falls out. He wasn't hooked good, very easily could of been a loss. My friend gets out his camera to begin shooting. Mysteriously it doesn't work. He manages to get one shot off, then it stops working again. I wanted to cry (LOL), I wasn't going to get photos of this fish. He manages to convince his camera to take another shot. While this is taking place I'm periodically moving the fish back into the water to keep him healthy since it was taking a while for him to "convince" his camera.

Just as I'm getting ready to let him go, it dawns on me that my cell phone has a camera on it. Apparently this thing does have a use! I appologize for the terrible quality, but it beats nothing

I am so unbelievably happy to have caught this fish. I was after a 21lb 2oz flathead, anything that would beat my long standing 21lb 1oz fish. I more than doubled it tonight - amazing!

[​IMG]

I'm off to bed, havn't slept in over 24 hours :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Robocat

Robocat Rob

Congratulations ! That is one nice Flathead !! :)

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

My god. That is a beast. What is Mellon gonna say about this? That is one nice fish. Maybe I should give up carping.

4. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

nice fish Fishman. That one is gonna be hard to beat.

bill

5. Tee

Tee Team OGF

WOW! Incredible fish! Congrats on doubling your PB! Awesome!

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Great, goes back to my theory about keeping a disposable camera in the glovebox too...one with a built-in flash. Great story...I'm jealous !!
    I'm also going to try to improve your picture a little & repost it for you here if it comes out better.

7. mrfishohio

Great fish !!

Attached Files:

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Awesome fish Tom, I bet you are one happy catfisherman.

9. mrfishohio

I can usually improve one with a little time, makes me wonder, I have another program that can work some miracles sometimes... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. catking

catking Banned

FANTASTIC !!!! Man , you just skipped right over the "30" club... ;) Good for you ... Nice story also...... THE CATKING !!!

11. mrfishohio

Man, I'm good.... ;)

Attached Files:

12. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

Wow! Super fish, congratulations on catching a real monster! Were the girlfriends freaking out when they saw how big it was? I'm sure it was a real education for them, as to why you'll go fishing all night long!

13. Nice fish! Was it a river fish?

14. That is a true pig!!!

15. mrfishohio

I'm guessing not a river, since he posted about this "body of water" not holding flatheads. So all the rivers in SW OH hold flatheads. Good question Mean Morone. Someone should call him at home, wake him up and force him to answer all our questions....Jacko ?? (jk...let him rest, we're going after your state record LM when he wakes !! joke man, joking !!)

16. Great Catch, Tom!

You didn't say if GF like the all-night fishing?

17. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

Nice fish, What a Pig !!! Congrats on beating your personal Best, I did the same thing this year, What a feeling Huh ? I waited 4 years in between a 39lb Cat & my current Best 55 Pounder I caught on the 18th. Congrats to you :D :B :D

18. that is one nice flathead congrats, but you've already given your spot away in a previous post. i always new that "body of water" had potential to hold flatheads i've just had trouble finding bank access. congratulations on the fish though.

19. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Ya no kidding. I use to do this, untill a little invention called "digital cameras" came around... rofl look what good that did me. I think I'm going to throw one a ziplock and throw it in my tackle bag.. sure beats using a 640x400 digital camera phone! Oh boy!

By the way Jim, thanks for the avatar, thats sure doesn't look like it came from my camera :D

My girlfriend thought it was gross.. lol my friends girlfriend really loves wildlife. She probably would of held it I offered it to her. She was more than happy to hold her own fish, and even gave it baby talk. As far as the lack of sleep goes, lets just say I was the only one who didn't get any sleep last night.

Nope

lol I wouldn't go so far as to say I've given away my spot... unless you can somehow see the back ground in my awsome camera phones quality.. lol :D Now if your making reference to when I caught that blue cat last week and you can figure out exactly were I caught that fish you can have it! LOL that place is a absolute bear to walk too. In fact, I have no intentions of ever going back there again :D

I forgot to mention in the story that my girlfriend ended up catching a small channel cat right before left this morning, so no one went home with out catching a fish.

Hopefully I'll have some better pictures of it no later than next week, provided my friends film turns out.

20. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Tom, that is a great fish. Congratulations on the new personal best.