close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally caught something

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by shwookie, Jul 13, 2007.

1. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I have struggled bad this year, not sure why, but needless to say its been a rough year.
    I went about 10 times in june and didn't catch anything, period. Then I caught a fully rigged catfishing pole, and was depressed that there wasn't a fish on it.
    Lately the fishing has been better, but nothing super. I have set my PB smallie 4 times this year though, up to about 16-17", nothing special for some, but to me they have been nice.
    Anyways, I went to the scioto tonight and actually had a great time. Set 2 PB for me, a 9" creek chub and my first double.
    The creek chub was a suprise, on light equipment, it had some fight.

The double was a riot, except I caught it wading on some rocks in the middle of the creek, and they were a bear to get off.

Anyways enough rambling, if you're still reading, i'm stunned.

Sorry to disappoint about not taking a pick of the creek chub, but I did get the double.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=26613&ppuser=10274
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=26612&ppuser=10274

Oh, I also caught one of these fish.....
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=26614&size=big&cat=&ppuser=10274

2. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

Thats a white bass. :B

3. shwookie

Thanks, I had no idea.

4. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

I bet that double sure was fun! I've never done that. Nice Job!

5. shwookie

Thanks. It been a lot funner if I wasn't standing in the middle of the river on some rocks. I had to drag them to shore and hook them. Slightly treacherous.
    It was pretty neat to see though, I though I had a real whopper until they surfaced, lol.
    I was reeling in and thought I hit a rock, which I know I did, then they jumped it when I picked the slack back up. I hit that same rock several times.

6. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

My dad sometime in the 1980's, cant remember exactly, caught a chain stringer that had 6 channel cats on it, all combined weighed almost 30lbs, he thought he was reeling in a stump.

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Nice fish. Sounds like a good day of fishing.

8. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

In all honesty you kept my attention, nice post w/ a good sense of humor :p

And try throwing a 1/16 or 1/8th oz Green pumpkin tube on the Scioto...It will out fish a twister-tail 2:1, just remember to let it drop for a looonnng time. 1/16th oz tube jigs can be hard to find, walmart carries them but there always sold-out. Gander caught on to the demand and now carries them under there "guide series" label...Tubes or topwater is the only way to go untill September (IMO). I should add that a buddy of mine does well on twisters, but for the life of me I can't copy his presentation...

9. shwookie

Heh, thanks. I can think faster than I can type and sometimes my online persona comes off as a rambling train wreck.
    Thanks for the tip. What size tube though? I used to strictly throw tubes and grubs, but they were always 2" or so. This year I have tried going bigger and using hard lures after reading the board and my size has gone way up, but my numbers down.

10. good post........i enjoyed it.....like them kinda stories

11. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

WOW............that double is AWESOME !!

12. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

My smallie bite has always been keyed in on the inline spinners. I am trying to get the hang of tubes and twisters but can't really figure it out. I have also seen a guy do real well with flukes. I think I can duplicate that, but not sure on rigging them.

CG

13. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I do real well with cranks/hard jerk baits, I'll fish with tubes when I get out of the yak, but drifting along it is hard to fish them slow enough, but it can be done, but I can't complain with the action the cranks do for me.
    Mike

14. shwookie

I was out there again this morning and did well with a bomber 2A. The first time I have even used a fat crank on a river. Its supposed to be a 2-4 ft. depth crank, but it seemed to run a bit deeper by a foot or 2. It went cold about 10:30 along with everything else.
    I did get several bites on a tail of a zoom motor oil finese worm, but they were gills nipping at it, nothing big.
    I did have an issue with the fish hooking themselves everywhere but their mouths. I don't know why, but I seem to have this happen to sm only.

15. StuckAtHome

The best cranks I found in our rivers creeks are the ones that dive less than 2 feet, best if they run about 6" to 1'. The fat bodied ones with wide wobble seem the best with silver/black color combo. Now there isn't a lot of choices, but it out produces everything I've been around.
    Mike

16. shwookie

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment coming from someone with a smallie as an avatar.
    Yeah, I looked for the shallowest runners I could, the bombers were all I saw at dicks. What ones are you using? Can you shave the lip down to make them run shallower, or does that mess them up?
    The one I used today was a craw looking crank. The rapala X-rap xr8 is what I used on the double, it is my have to have lure on any river I fish, it runs fairly shallow as well, like 3-5 ft. I think. I have caught my PB 3 times with it since I picked one up about 3 weeks ago.

17. StuckAtHome

Check your PM Shwookie

18. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I throw the biggest tubes I can find, typically dicks/Gander will only carry 3.5" or 4". I've been dying to try some 5" Case super tubes http://www.caseplastics.com/Products/SuperTube.htm...My PB smallie was caught on a absurdly robust 5" tube...

Smallies feed heavily on invertebrates/crayfish during the summer. Tubes do an excellent job at imitating these species, as well as other fish such as darters,chubs etc.

The key to working Tubes (or any jig for that matter) is finding the right weight: You want to tap the tube a couple times, then let it drop for 3-5 seconds, then jig again. If it hits the bottom in less than 2.5 seconds your using to much weight, if it takes 6-7+ seconds to hit the bottom your not using enough. Keep a couple 1/8th's and 1/16th's readily available, when you get to a shallow stretch (riffle) switch to the 1/16..Then switch to a 1/8 as the riffle turns into a run..Involes alot of re-tying, but IMO it's well worth the effort. A 3-5 second drop really works wonders.

19. StuckAtHome

acklac7, do you like to Texas rig them or regular jig hook them? I like Texas rigging but lose a lot due to me not setting hard enough, call me sissy snake boy if you want lol. I have a few different hook types from gander, just wondering what others do.
    Thanks,
    Mike