close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally caught "Slick"

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Lewzer, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I was doing some commando fishing this weekend with the holidays. On this one lake I been stalking this bass that has been hanging out in less than a foot of water the past several weeks. Every time I come up over the dam I saw that big swirl take off for deep water and I knew it was gone for the night. Figured it must be the vibration of me walking over the concrete since I kept a low profile so he wouldn't see me.
    I had the bass hooked about a month ago but lost it as it got close to the dam.
    Last Saturday I walked clear to the other end of the dam before I came over the top. The wind was kicking up some waves so I hoped that would give me cover as I snuck back to the other side hoping it was still there.
    I was able to get close enough to the bushes to cast the lizard in there and hadn't seen the swirl yet so I was hoping it was still hanging out in there.
    First cast into the bushes and wham, I had it hooked. Reeled it through the weeds and about 10' from me it was gone, AGAIN.
    I figured that was it for him for the day but I cast back to the same place and he hit it again! This time I set the hook like those tourny guys do.
    I mean rip his lips off! I had it this time and brought in a barely hooked 20" bass.
    This guy must have been guarding the nest and wasn't feeding. Probably just picking up intruders in his nest and spitting them out after moving them away. I figured that's why I couldn't get a good hookset for the past 5 weeks. I'll leave him alone in peace and quiet now. Hopefully it will be back next year to catch again.
    By the way, is it the male or female who guards the nest? I never saw a nest but why else would that big bass hang out in that shallow a water for so many weeks?

2. Males quard the nest. Sounds like you caught the female that hasnt spawned yet. Good job.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

it might just be a prime feeding area. sometimes bass will frequent an area for a long time, I only say this because i figured most bass would be done spawning after a amount of time like that. Great catch!

4. I am guessing that that is just a prime spot for fish to hang out. 5 weeks is a long time for a fish to guard a nest. I would try fishing this spot more in the near future.

5. The bass in my area finished spawning two weeks ago. Probably a good anbush area and the bass has staked it out which is no unusual in smaller ponds or lakes. I have the same situation in the lake out front.

6. Nice job! That sounded like a nice bass and was probably fun sneaking around!

7. good job there bud!
    thumbs up 2 u my friend :)
    great story an 4 u a great memory!!!!
    mrtwister_jbo

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Thanks,

I walked by his house last night and saw the swirl again. but I'm done with this guy for awhile.
    The spot is usually good for bluegill throughout the summer. Maybe that's why it's hanging out there.

9. What a great statement for catch and release. Maybe you can get that one again some day. Good job.

10. The males guard the bed, but you must have caught the female before she laid her eggs. Great catch!!! :)