close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally Caught A Decent Chanel

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by me223, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Been catching some small fish, about a 1-1 1/2#'s or so, on shrimp and cut shad. Last night we bought a dozen chubs, thinking of some flathead. They died off quick. Started slitting them open and useing them as cutbait. Got a few small ones.

The wife got bored right before dark and started casting her little spinner for 'gills. Caught one about 4" long. I put it on the hook under a bobber and cast it out. Got a short hard run a few minutes later, no hook-up. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Relled in, it was dead.

I cut two small slits in it's belly, cast back out and sat back to wait. It is dark by now. Glow stick disappeared then popped back up. I picked up the rod and got a good strong run. Kept waiting to feel so pressure, but never did. Bobber pooped back up. It had ran towards me about 20', that would explain that!

Got all the slack in, sat back down and the boober dives again. Picked up the rod, reeled until I felt some tension and set the hook. He was running towards me again. Got him this time! After a godd 10 min. fight, I got him in. Weighed 8# 7oz. Not huge, but an excellent fight. Didn't have the camera with us, so we didn't get a pic before releasing him.

Mike

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good for you, I know it's got to fun to catch a bigger fish after sifting thru all those smaller ones. They are all fun, but it's nice to have one bend the rod.

3. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

Try hooking those Gills in the Meaty Part of the Tail, They live along time for me that way. Nice going on the Channel Cat ! ;)
    Cay Mazter