close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally Broadband!!!!

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Fastlane, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

After 5 years of suffering with dial up service, I finally got DSL. What a battle too. Verizon says it is not available. All the big names in DSL says it's not available. Went to broadbandreports.com and they say maybe through certain providers. Check with them and some of the small guys say yep it is. Ended up with a company out of Dayton called Siscom. They handled everything with Verizon. Got the modem last night and activated it today. The service is through Verizon but I use Siscom as the ISP. Funny thing is though that Verizon says it is still not available to me. Infact, it is impossible to get DSL at my location. Hum, the modem came directly from them and I am using it right now. THey need to get their head out of their butts.

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

It is funny how these big companies will do that crap. Tell you no does not work, but they actually don't know. They just go by a sheet that say it will cover this area without ever testing it out first.

3. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

The bad part of this is that if I could get it directly through Verizon, I would only be paying $30 a month and they give you the modem/router. With the service I have, I have to pay verizon $37 per month and Siscom $20 for the service. It's a money scam I tell ya. Plain and simple.

4. catking

catking Banned

I hear that Thomas !! I am still on dialup, and probably will be for awhile. It stinks. The disconnection rate is about evey 45 minutes......... :rolleyes: .THE CATKING !!!

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Dial-up Catking??? what is that? :confused: Man, you "old farts" are strange! :D :p :cool:

Kidding ya! I know what you mean about the dial-up. The reason I don't have my computer online at home any more is because I can't afford the DSL, but can't stand the dial-up. Now I just use the Cable modem here at the shop! :)

6. cost SBC my business. My mother, who lives maybe 1-1.5 miles away has had SBC/Yahoo DSL for over a year. I have been waiting for it to "become available" for about the same time...after trying hers out first. Never came. Finally called TimeWarner about 3 weeks ago and got RoadRunner...best move yet. A little cheaper than what it cost me for the extra phone line and ISP and much, much, much faster. Everytime I spoke with SBC, they pretty much acted as if they didn't care and never offered any true rationale as to why it was "available" at my mother's house and not quite at mine yet.

7. You almost always have to be within three miles of a telephone company switching station (exchange) in order to get a DSL connection to the internet. The signal degrades quickly after 18,000 feet until it is unusable.

Scott

8. OhioCatman

OhioCatman "Rip some lip!"

Yep You are right Goin Fishin. Three miles is max they will go from a switching station.

Thats why the best way to go is cable, You could be 30 miles from the cable company and there will be no loss in signal. And of course not to mention how much more speed there is on cable compared to dsl and also alot less hassle with the cable company compared to dsl company. Also alot less problems occur with the connection.

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

moved to computers