Finally boated some catfish!

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by nlcatfish, Aug 31, 2016.

1. I had a good day at last on the river. Trip started out well with netting 3 small shad and 1 8 inch Skipjack for fresh bait. I had a number of bites which was different from my last 4 trips.

I did try drift fishing, but no bites. I finally boated, 2 channel cats, one 3 pounds 3 ounces, the other one was 4 pounds 3 ounces. One hit raw shrimp the other liked shad oil seasoned chicken. The fish were released to the river fight another day. So I finally got some reward for my efforts.

sherman51 likes this.
  2. sherman51

sherman51 florida ice fishing

sometimes persistence pays off. good to hear you caught some fish.
    sherman

nlcatfish likes this.

3. I may go out again this Friday morning, cooler weather might fish a little longer.

4. Way to hang in there!

5. sherman51

have you tried night fishing for cats?? I use to do a lot of night fishing for cats with fresh chicken livers. we have a small lake near me that has some great channel cat fishing. I would just anchor down and put out 1 line with a slip bobber about 9 ft down. then I would put out 2 lines on the bottom. and I always caught fish. the best luck I had was the first couple of hours after dark and the last couple of hours before day light.
    sherman

Salmonid likes this.
  6. I have not night fished in about 3 years. I keep hearing bad stories of cars being broken into while you are out on the river. So it is not very safe around here to leave your car at a ramp.

sherman51 likes this.
  7. Here are the details of that trip. It is a little long.

8-31 UPDATE 08: 00 I netted 1 small Skipjack and 3 small gizzard shad at the ramp. Water temp was 83 and river was still cloudy. 08:30 I had 3 rods out 1 suspended, 2 dead line. I had 2 taps at 0840-45, one on the shad and 1 on chunk of the skipjack. 08:50 a hard bite on the suspended rod circle hook so I did NOT pull the rod. It bounded the rod a number of times then just left it go.

09:15 I headed up river to the deeper water, there I tried to drift fish. I put out 2 rods, 1 shad the other cut skipjack. I thought I had set the lines to be at least 4 feet off the bottom and started my drift. I put the trolling motor to use and I did control the boat much better this time. 09:50 started my 2nd one of the lines got hung up on something even though the depth finder showed deeper than I set the line, I had to break the line. So I gave up on the drift and headed down river.

10:30 I was at the 3rd spot, had 2 gar runs one on raw shrimp the other on seasoned chicken breast at 10:35. 10:50 I finally hook a fish I was so rusty it took some time to know how tight the line had to be to set the hook! The channel cat was 17 inches, 3 pounds 3 ounces. Not big but that was my 1st fish in months. That fish hit the raw shrimp; I had a couple more taps on the shrimp.

11:30 went down river a little more marked fish by schools of bait fish. No action so I decided to go back to my last spot, since I was getting bites there. 12:05 I hooked my 2nd channel cat, it was on the bobber rig. This cat was 4pounds 3 ounces and 21 inches shad oil seasoned chicken breast is what it liked. Just as I was putting the rods away to head for home had another hard bite on the raw shrimp but miss it.

It was getting HOT so I called it a day at 12:30 and headed to the ramp. I finally boat some fish at long last! I took photos of the fish and returned them to the river to fight another day.

sherman51 likes this.
  8. sherman51

yeah I totally understand. its a da#n shame to that nothing is safe any more. I hate a thief but hate a lying theif most of all.

a few yrs ago I was down at black house mountain 4 wheeling. and when we got back to my van we found somebody had got on the back side of the van and broke a window out and got in the van and cleaned out my tools and my dewalt power tools. there was a new shovel laying over a few feet in the woods. I figured they stole the shovel to break out the window. but I did take the shovel.
    sherman

9. That's the way it goes, Sherman. Work like a dog to have some good things, and some lazy piece of garbage takes it from you, like they're entitled to your stuff. I hope I never catch someone doing it..May be in jail next day.