Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little over a year ago my wife finally decided we should have a gun in the house. (after many long debates/arguments) At that time I was really interested in getting my CCW and spent months doing research and learning as much as I could about guns and safety. Then in December of 2012 my wife was diagnosed with leukemia, so that all of that got put on the back burner.

She has gone through all her treatments (chemo, radiation and bone marrow transplant) with success. After two bone marrow biopsy no more signs of cancer in either, showing all her cells are still that of her donors. She is closing in on the end of her recovery and will be back to normal life (basically) and down to just a couple pills a day.

Life is pretty much back on track. Thanks to the good company I work for financially, life is even better. We have both learned to appreciate life more than ever, with the increased appreciation also comes the urge to protect it. With all the drug addicts and scum bags in the world looking for a cheap high or opportunity to make a quick buck, my wife with her hair just starting to grow back, I'm sure these people would look at her and assume she has medication they could steal. All the more reason to take gun ownership off the back burner and make it a priority.

So I went back online, back to my research about guns. Only now I realized there was some crazy gun/ammo crises that had been going on. Luckily it seems to be slowly calming back down... I knew that I wanted a glock handgun, also sure I wanted a 9mm. I noticed via facebook that targetworld had a sale on their glocks, so figured I'd head down and check it out.

I had never handled a glock before, from the hundreds of videos I've watched they always seemed much larger in size than they actually were. Heading in I was thinking a 19 or 26 was what I wanted, but after handling several different models and generations I ended up going with the glock 17 gen4 (in OD green) and at a pretty decent price with tax out the door for $560.

With the full size 9mm I figure this will be my home/range gun. I have already been back to target world 3 times since friday to shoot, eventually I plan to buy either a 19 or 26 for future concealed carry. I kind of feel an addiction coming on to be honest, such a liberating feeling it is to sling lead down a range... Finally becoming a gun owner, feels as good as the day I got my license and became a driver.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Thank God for such a good recovery and blessed financial situation, that is an awesome story thanks for sharing. Glad your wife is on the up swing.

Can't go wrong wit a Glock.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Captain of the Ship
709 Posts
Glad to hear your wife is doing well. Best of luck to her...and you too.

Man that is a sweet gun. I've had my eye on an OD Green Glock for awhile now, but just can't make the move. Kinda pricey for another gun just sitting around I probably won't even shoot. :D

And I think what I'm really holding out for is to find an OD Green one with a polished stainless or NiBx slide. I've never even seen one but I think that would look cool.

And that was a good price. That's about as low as I've seen in the last month or two that I've been looking.

·
Registered
668 Posts
+1 on the glocks. Glockstore.com and cheaperthandirt.com will do ya good. Both have numerous accessories to personalize your glock. Good choice. Get a 44 round mag or a drum for the range... you might never go home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So glad your wife is doing better now and your life is back on track....prayers sent for that to continue

·
I'll be bach
500 Posts
Good news is always great to hear. So glad your wife is on the road to recovery. You know when she's back to 100% she's gonna want to know why you come home from the range with that BIG GRIN on yer face...... I see maybe a 380 or a nice 9 that fits her hand ( M&P SHIELD) in her future.

There's nothin' like sending some lead downrange after a tough day at the office..................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts