close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally a fish ohio smallmouth! WOO HOO

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bronzebackyac, Jun 11, 2007.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

After about 10yrs and 5000 casts (probably more) I landed my first smallmouth over 20 inches. I have caught 2-20+ in Michigan, but I could not seem to get the monkey off my back in OH. All spring I have been throwing buzzbaits in the morning after having good luck last fall with them on the creek. I was fishing Paint Creek out of my kayak with my wife and a friend and caught an 18'' within the first half hour of fishing on a Chart. Buzzbait. It was about 3 lbs and I was really pumped up with that catch. I tried casting it some more, but it was too bent up and it did not work right, so I switched to a $.99 Wally World White Buzzbait. In an area above a nice riffle I hooked into something huge about 15 feet from my boat. At first I thought I was a Musky or something different, because it was so long. Then I got a good look and realized that it was a smallie. I was set up good for a fish this size with fireline crystal and a 6 6'' med hvy casting rod with a Energy PT baitcaster, but I told myself that I was not getting this fish in the yak. If anyone has ever fished out of a kayak, they know it is not easy to land big fish. It took plenty of drag and I wore it out and landed my PB smallie. 20.5''. It weighed somewhere between 4 and 5 lbs I would guess. It was nice to have my wife witness my catch, but I was even nicer to catch my PB on TOPWATER. Man, I can't think of a more exciting way to catch bass. I was shaking for about an hour after that. I told her she was going to have to come more often. An 18'' and a 20.5'' in the same trip and the first trip with her in a year. I have a pic on my cell phone, and I need to find out how to get it off of there. As soon as I do I will post a pic. I did let my wife know that my quest for big smallies is not over. My goal now is a 22''er. That should keep me busy for a while. ;)

2. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Congrats, sounds like an awesome trip. Can't wait to see pics!

3. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Congrats on the Fish Ohio smallie. Yeah, that'll get your blood pumping. I'd have been worried my Wally World buzzbait would fall apart :D

How early in the morning was it?

Looking forward to the pics.

CW

4. bronzebackyac

Caught it about 10am and caught 2 more after it for a total of 4 smallie on a buzzbait. By 11am the topwater bite shut off.

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Congratulations! That is a catch of a lifetime from an Ohio creek!

6. Great catch, and great report, the play by play was exciting, would love to catch that from a yak myself!
    LMJ

7. bronzebackyac

[​IMG]

Check out the other pics in my gallery that I just got off of my cell phone. There are several nice smallies, a fish ohio drum and a 20'' largemouth in there.

8. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

nice fish...I caught my fish ohio smallie back in april from C.J. Brown reservoir in the marina on a 2" mr. twister...was 21" and weighed 4lb 6oz

9. bronzebackyac

That's a dandy. Any pics? What color twister were you using?

10. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

caught it on a 2" white mr. twister around the rock wall of the marina at C.J. Brown, thought it was a really big whitebass at first, but then it started jumping around and then I knew it was a smallie

11. bronzebackyac

Nice fish. The color of that fish is amazing.