close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Filling screw holes in fiberglass

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bmffishing247, Jun 20, 2007.

1. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

Looking for a good way to repair small holes where fishfinders have been moved around. I know i could use silicone to fill the holes but I think that would be noticable. I was wondering if anyone knows of some stuff to get. I would much rather go some place and buy it rather than having it shipped.

Also there are a few holes about the size of a quarter where the finder wires have been pulled through how about filling those.

This is a fiberglass boat navy blue with metal flake. I am going to be doing a complet restore on the boat because the of the oxidation so I was going to fill the holes first to get them to blend in.

Have you ever heard of using comet to clean the oxidation off of a boat. I think it is pretty course and would scratch it.

Jesse

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i would use some epoxy in the tubes. there is one on the shelf that is made for thick applications and to fill voids. easy to use and quick cure.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

4. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

Just got back from wally world and got the bondo for my 3 holes (big can that should last the rest of my life for 3 dime to quarter size holes.) And got the bondo marine epoxy that is paintable. I also found a pretty close color on the paint. I'm hoping once i use the oxidation remover and some wax it will blend it pretty good.

How about the comet question, anyone ever heard of using this to remove oxidation from your boat. I know they way to be careful with abbrasives on your clear coat finish but i saw this on the iboats forum so I wanted to see if anyone here has used it to remove oxidation and then put on a good coat of wax.

Jesse

5. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

6. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Don't use comet... use rubbing compound and a buffer, followed by a polishing compound, followed by wax.
    Use a Marine wax... they have extra U/V protectors in them to help prevent the gelcoat from oxidizing again down the road.

And you should have used gelcoat repair on your holes too.