close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fillet Knifes?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Does anyone know where to get a really good fillet knife here in Central Ohio. I'm sick of using crappy ones!

2. I use an American Angler electric knife with the shark blade and I love it!!!! Sell em at Wally World. Got mine on clearance last fall for 6 bucks!!

3. I have knives that are 50, 60 80 bucks each and the one that I LOVE for flexability and sharpness is a $10.00 or $15.00 Eagle Filet knife I bought at Wally World. Amazing huh?

The only thing I do to it is about every 4 fish I run it up & down a "Steel" a few times and I am good to go.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:)

4. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I'll look into both, flex is key!

5. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

electric... ill never go back

6. meisterdog

meisterdog mr. saturday night

rapala electric knife never leave home without it Ha Ha Ha best invention since sliced bread!!!!!!!!!:D :D

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

how did they slice bread before?:confused: :D ;)

i have no experience with them,but a few people here have sworn by the knives they got from sam's club.and they're not expensive.

8. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hmmm, intrigueing.

9. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I got the Sam's knives based on the advise of Het and a few others. Seem OK to me, and they were only $9.

10. Got the American Electric for christmas, never used it until now, will never go back to regular knives. Only thing though I hear they burn out the motors.

Rich

11. Check out the Fin, Feather and Fur up by Ashland. I think that's the name of it. I've been up there a couple times to look at the awesome selection of fishing gear and I recall that they have a great selection of high-end knives.

12. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I hate cleaning fish which is one reason I almost always let my catch go. After watching the guys at Erie though this year in the cleaning station using the electic knives im sold on them. Most of those guys can be done with an average fish in less than a minute or so and never have to resharpen. My buddy I went with Saturday said he replaces his blades once a year but thats after cleaning between 500-1000 eyes a year. He was done with a dozen eyes in about 15 minutes. Thats alot faster than a regular knife.

13. Does anyone know how to sharpen the serrated blades?

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

there are sharpeners that are supposed to work.but i haven't used them,so i can't speak from experience.

15. I've literally filet hundreds of walleye the past 2 years using a $12 Gerber knife from Wally World. It works awesome. It takes me about 45 seconds to do an average size walleye. I'm really interested in an electric knife though. Seems like it would be faster.

16. Mr Twister has one for salt water called the Paran√°. I don't leave home with-out it! for the extra $10 its well worth it!
    Its a electric knife on steroids! Best I ever used!

17. I went electric early last year after cleaning Erie eyes by hand while watching others zip through the job. I can't say it is if the highest quality, but I bought an electric "Mister Twister" fillet knife for like $15-$20 last year and it has worked great. I don't clean 100s of fish (I C&R mostly), so I am still on the same blade without problems. I would guess I have done over a hundred eyes with it easy though, so unless you clean a bounch of fish the blade should last a few seasons.

Once you "butcher" your first fillet you get the feel of the knife and you can do them fast and with little waste. I will never go back now that I have learned to fillet with the electric.

18. Elec fillets knives rule!

I like the GE and Black & Decker,but they changed styles.The newer GE's have the blades lower,and the meat tends to get crammed inbetween the blades-so you have to clean them inbetween fish. Very hard to find blades for them,so it's usually cheaper just to buy a new knife.

I have a Rapala ac/dc elec knife-2 different size of blades and molded case. I didn't like it much at first.The damn safety on it sucked. I pulled that pin out and now she works great. Blades are a lot easier to find for them,walmart,etc.

Elec fillet knives are a safer way to get young-uns into filleting fish. The gf's kids watched me fillet 2 messes of saugeye and catfish. I even put the blades on my hand and turned it on just to show them how safe they are. Slap one of my regular rapala fillet knives on my hand like that,no sir-ee!!

19. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Electric it is, thanks guys!

20. We use a electric when we go to canada. the motor does get really hot. I bought a cordless last year and it hardly holds a charge.

moose