Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the "best buy" for a decent fillet knife?
Used mostly for Walleye and Perch.
I have an older Rapala... it will not hold an edge very long. I also have an 8" "Old Timer" by Schrade that seems good, but is too long for the smaller fish.

What should I look for...4 or 6 inch? Brand and model?

Budget under $25 preferred.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
gerber , gander mtn sells them. i have one and prefer it over the rapala. and it has 2 ceramic sticks built into the sheath. electric is nice for the eater eyes but the hogs are another story. had a rapala electric and about burnt it up on 1 limit of big eyes.took it back and got my refund.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My buddy has the Rapala electric knife and his is junk as well. He was filleting a few crappie and it just crapped out. I have an American Angler electric knife that I just love. Picked it up at Wally World on clearance for 6 bucks. My regular knife is a Shrade and it dosn't hold an edge for very long.

·
Registered
921 Posts
i like that rapala 12 volt knife i was able to hack a bunch of walleye up these last couple of weeks, and i like it over my mister twister hands down!! seen it at wally world for 39.99 will be gettin 1 soon!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
JOE W! Haha Whats up?

I have the Rapala electric one and I like it. Ive had it for a little over a year and have filleted probably like 400-500 fish with it. Perch, Bass, Steelhead, one walleye, bluegill. It still works great for me.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
The best deal going on fillet knives is at Sam's Club. Back in their commercial restaurant isle, they have a two pack of knives for around $9. One is a fillet knife, the other is a boning knife. I have a couple of them, and have been using them for five years. Everyone that uses them thinks they are some high dollar European fillet knife.

·
BigV
1,135 Posts
The ones from Sam's Club are great knives. Hetfieldinn turned me on to them a couple of years ago and now I have 3 sets. They hold a good edge and the large handles prevent hand fatigue. I even use them at dear camp to process deer.
Here’s a pic:

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ones from Sam's Club are great knives. Hetfieldinn turned me on to them a couple of years ago and now I have 3 sets. They hold a good edge and the large handles prevent hand fatigue. I even use them at dear camp to process deer.
Here’s a pic:

Thanks BigV and Het.
My son went to SAMS today and I had him look those up. I was surprised at the value. The best value in knives I've seen anywhere. Amazing... you take the word FISHING out of it and how much less it costs. LOL :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts