Field To Fly

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by shorebound, Jan 6, 2009.

1. I got a Pheasant today, this being the first one i got since i started tying. i was like a kid in a candy store when i first thought about keeping all the feathers. i have a buddy that has chickens and have got feathers from him and have cured them before. The question i have is drying out the wings. Has anyone ever done this or know some one who has done this, or am i just better off pulling the feathers i need and canning the rest. any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. cuwoohio

cuwoohio Angler

That's a good question. I'll be going pheasant hunting this March, and plan
    on trying to keep as much as possible. Anyone had any experience with
    this sort of thing?????????????

3. My brother has used my pheasant feathers to tie flies. I just pluck what feathers i want, and keep them in a ziplock bag.

4. my buddy suggested skinning the wings and drying the skin that way everything is still in contact and i wouldn't have to have everything in loose bags... what do you think

5. Keith R

Keith R One On The Turn

I had recently got a bunch of pheasant parts from a guy at work. If you rub Boraxo on the skin for about a week that should dry out the skin. You should be able to see the moisture come through the Boraxo then rub on some more. Again should be dried out in about a week.

Keith R.