close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fiberglass vs. Aluminum Hull

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by soua0363, Aug 23, 2007.

1. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I am curious to know what is the advantages/disadvantages of a fiberglass hull compare to an aluminum hull. Some people prefer an aluminum while others prefer fiberglass so I would like to know why. Looking at specs, it seems the aluminum boats are lighter than fiberglass boats or am I wrong? Thanks for the inputs.

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Just comparing the boats I have owned the fiberglass is more stable and has a better ride. I have heard that the aluminum boats have come a long way though. Price is a big difference also.

3. I have owned both. My current boats are a 14 foot lund and a 19 Foot Lund Tyee (both aluminum). I have owned a 19 foot grady White, a 4 Winns 20' and a Sea Ray 18'. A far as ride goes, the 19' Lund is outstanding-comparable to (or according to my wife better than) the Grady White. The aluminum boats are lighter and therefore require less power for similar performance, get better fuel efficiency and are easier to trailer-and you need less vehicle to trailer it-potentially a huge savings. That all being said, I like both aluminum and fiber glass. I think the better things to think about are power (outboard is far better than I/O) and make of boat. Premium aluminum boats like Lund, Alumacraft and G3 are excellent rides as are the top notch saltwater type fiberglass boats such as Grady White, Key West and Scout. For a person who mainly uses their boat for fishing (especially on Erie) I would avaoid the cruiser type boats such as Bayliner, Sea Ray, 4 Winns, Chapparral, Rinker etc. Not saying these are not good boats, but with the beating you give them out on the big lake, they tend to need a lot of repair/maintenance.

Jim