close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fiberglass repair???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, May 22, 2007.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Ummm.....well, it seems that there is a little (okay, maybe not so little) "boo boo" on the underside of my boat that needs to be repaired as it is pretty deep, and there is exposed fiberglass :(
    The injury is about 6 feet long by 3/4 inch wide.
    The belly of my boat is black (it's a Ranger 621).
    I have years of experience of placing fillings in peoples teeth, so I'm assuming that I have the skills needed to do this repair myself, as long as I have the proper materials?
    Is the material expensive? Any tips?? Or would you recommend having someone that specializes in fiberglass repair do it?
    I need to get this repaired for the least amount of money possible, or possibly find someone who is willing to do it in exchange for advertising?

2. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

does the damage penatrate inside the hull???
    I wouldnt tackle a job like that without experience marcia.
    glass needs to be totally solid, supported and finished by a pro shop.

make sure you talk to several shops and get second opinions.
    be prepaired for a whack to the wallet

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Yep, let a professional that has experience with marine repair preform this work. I would be more concerned with the gelcoat finishing. An area that large will require someone that's done this before. ;)
    Just my .02.

4. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

Marcia, Straightline Autobody in North Royalton is a authorized Ranger repair facility. Mitch (owner) is an avid bassangler who also sponsors alot of tournaments. He has done glass work for me and has turned out flawless at a reasonable price. With the amount of damage you have, "6ft. long" I think it would be an insurance job??? Most of the guys at Vic's and Nortons can testify to his work! Good luck
    Straightline Auto Body
    9900 Royalton Rd.
    North Royalton
    440-582-3850
    Explain your situation to Mitch, I'm sure he'll do all he can to resolve your problem. And he likes pretty ladies, that's a plus!

5. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

No visible "holes" into the hull, but I can see white fiberglass.

I have no wallet to whack :(