close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fiber

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ezbite, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

Couple of weeks ago I had a colonoscopy and the doctor told
    Me I needed to get on a high fiber diet. (My family doctor told
    Me about a month ago to quit eating cheese??) anyhow, The nurse gave me a paper that had 15 high fiber foods on it. 8 of the 15 were beans. I've been pretty good following it up till yesterday when we ordered a pizza at work. Then I had 4 pieces. I was just wondering if anyone has any tricks for following a high fiber diet. I take a few fiber gummies and eat a few fiber one bars everyday, but I'm sure without those I would not be getting to fiber he recommended.

sherman51 likes this.
  2. Gottagofishn and ezbite like this.

3. ezbite

Couple of years ago I tried Metamucil and it almost killed me (not really, but the results weren't fun) I bought a bottle and I took the whole daily dose all at once and wow! I did some research after that and you have to slowly build up to the daily dose. I might give it another try. The bars, gummies and diet do seem to be working, I'm losing weight and my BP is actually coming down in just a few weeks.

Gottagofishn and percidaeben like this.
  4. Saugeye Tom

Saugeye Tom River Pilgrim & Sojourner

Diverticulitis?...i went with nuts and raw veggies....wheat germ, fiber bars

5. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Uncle Timbo.....commercial seed trader......

Bran muffins. But you'd better put some loctite on the toidy floor bolts first. :)
    They tell everybody that. My mother died of a ruptured colon w/stage 4 cancer. So now with a family history, I have one every 3 years whether they find polyps or not. The Doc always comes out while I'm in la la land and tells my wife, tell Tim to eat more fiber. I think I've had 5 colonoscopies now.
    I do use the cheaper, Wally World fiber powder with good results. After experimentation, you learn how much to use and tame the beast within.
    Try to eat a lot of veggies and for roughage, eat em raw.
    On a side note, this last time I asked the doctor to please tell my wife you didn't find my head up there.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    elkhtr, Ruminator, sherman51 and 4 others like this.
  6. Get you a tub of chia seeds and eat 3 or more tablespoons a day. 4 grams of fiber per tablespoon. You will also have more energy than you can imagine also. It is what they call a super food. I just put as many in my mouth as I can stand and wash it down with a swig of water and repeat. Do some research on them, they were the fuel of the ancient Mayans. Chia is the ancient word for strength...You can find them in the sugar isle near flax seed and stuff at walmart. They will amaze you!

7. bobk

bobk

Denise can get you a diet wrote up if you want it.

8. Tom,
    I take fiber capsules, not as hard as mixing things with water. Has helped me, I buy the Kroger brand.

sherman51, fastwater, Lazy 8 and 2 others like this.
  9. ezbite

picked up the 1 pound bag (not the 2 pound tub) about an hour ago, popped a tablespoon in and chewed them up, man its like i ate crunchy paste.lol. think ill try them on my cherios in the morning.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    sherman51 likes this.
  10. Lol yea, they'll absorb moisture and swell. You'll be picking them outta your teeth but its keeps ya occupied. Lol! I prefer to wash them down most of the time. They will keep your appetite settled pretty well also. Like i said i'll eat 3 scoops at a time. I buy the 5 pound tub. Ebay has some good bulk buys also. I hope you did some research on them too, they are truly an amazing overlooked food. I'm a bit of a health nut, I can tell you another thing that you may want to check out and that's raw honey. I collect and eat raw honey from all over and one thing I really noticed about it the most was it does wonders for prostate issues. I can tell a difference if I go a couple days without it. I eat a pound of honey in a couple weeks easily. If you buy pasteurized crap from the store its just a flavoring basically. All the beneficial enzymes are dead. Good honey wont be really clear it'll be full of tiny particulates. Keep us updated on any results.

ezbite likes this.
  11. dcool

dcool

I use benefiber. I mix it with my coffee every morning. The good thing about it is there is absolutely no taste to it, don't even know it's in there.

ezbite likes this.
  12. when they told me I had diverticulitis and diverticulosis they told me not to eat nuts or popcorn or whole kernel corn that they didn't digest well and could get hunk in the pouches and cause diverticulosis. but I still eat a few nuts but chew them well. and the same thing with corn. I try to stay away from popcorn but do eat some every once in a while.
    sherman

Lazy 8, ezbite and Saugeye Tom like this.
  13. ress

ress

They told me the same, but, added strawberry's and sunflower seeds. Any tiny seed has a chance to hook on and cause real pain. Fiber One bars give me the walking farts! Not good at work! I have a friend that has a daughter that has earned her PHD in nutrition and says moderation and scheduling plays a huge part in success. Steady as she goes!

PromiseKeeper, ezbite and Saugeye Tom like this.
  14. bobk

bobk

Fruits, vegetables and a few nuts. Nuts are fattening. Probiotics and 2,000 international units of vitamin D. Lean protein, whole grains. Avoid high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated fats. Wine is better than beer for your gut. Denise, wants know what the issue is from the doc visit.
    D, says most of the bars are a joke. Too high in sugar. Look up "clean eating". Flax, chia seeds, steel cut oats all good.

See what I live with everyday!

15. Stay away from the processed bars. You should have 20-25 grams of fiber daily. Beans are great - incorporate them into your weekly meals - make chili, beans & rice as a side, etc. , a bread higher in fiber than most,( I prefer 12 Grain from Aldi). A good bread will have 2-3 grams of fiber per slice -nearly 25% of daily need from two slices.), 3-4 servings of vegetables and fruits. Some cereals will also help you achieve the 20-25 grams/day. Some will have a bit of sugar but I think getting fiber for a small amount of sugar is a good exchange. I keep raisin bran in vehicle to snack on while driving. I also eat about a quart of saurkraut /week. Find those that are not heated prior to being canned. Do not boil /cook it prior to eating. The live bacteria is what you want/need. Read labels on food that is packaged to help you. Avoid most. For long term the food you eat to get your 20-25 grams / day has to be good tasting or you will loose the battle. Try to eat regularly. Make good decisions and you will be fine.

Lazy 8, ezbite and sherman51 like this.
  16. Surgeon and Dr. that does my colonoscopy told me they are not believers in avoiding seeds and nuts. Surgeon said he never found a seed or nut in a colon while in there making repairs. I had diverticulitis about 6 years ago. Followed Dr's advice and increased fiber. Been good since. eat strawberries, nuts, etc.

ezbite likes this.
  17. I also have real bad constipation and use polyethylene glycol for it. you want to talk about gas, I could start my own gas company, LOL. I tried all kinds of fiber and all it did was give me gas. but with the poly I use the bathroom fairly regular. the name brand for the poly is miralax, you can buy it off the shelf at drug stores.
    sherman

ezbite likes this.
  18. I would think nuts would be a big no no...

ezbite and Saugeye Tom like this.
  19. capt j-rod

capt j-rod member

I too have had the surgeon go where no man has gone before... Colonoscopy. LOL. I had a huge wake up call at age 35. I can't eat fast food, Applebees, Mexican, Chinese buffet... It literally blows right through. I had a standing joke that if I can't carry your food out of the restaurant in my stomach that I shouldn't have to pay for it. I thought something was bad wrong and went to the doc. Turns out everything is ok, but here is where it gets weird. If I buy all the ingredients fresh for Mexican and cook them at home.... Everything is fine. Chinese? Fine. I too had to add fiber. I used Metamucil, but it is pure sugar. I have tried to limit my sugar due to all of the diabetes that I see every day. I was a poster child for what would ultimately be my fate. No pop, no sugar on my cereal, or in my coffee. I had a horrible sweet tooth, (still do) Fruit became my only way to get my sweets. The cool part about fruit is the fiber. It has been and continues to be a hard path to eat right. My doctor gave me a really simple diet. Only eat foods that you can identify the ingredients... Chicken, beef, pork. No processed trash. Eat one serving size of whatever you want. Don't eat anything after 6:30. Eat bigger early whenever possible. Follow the 3-1 ratio. Three parts of vegetables, rice, sides for every part of meat. DRINK WATER! All of my buddies are laughing as they chug beer and smash hot wings at the bar. I can honestly say that I have lost 20# and have more energy now than ever before. Fruits, Vegetables, beans, and other fiber have helped everything. Don't get me wrong, I miss garbage food every day, but when I see guys at 55-60 getting sick, it makes me think. 38 is a way different age than 28!

cane pole, ezbite and Lazy 8 like this.
  20. Take all that good stuff, veggies, nuts, raisins, flax seed,and throw it in a nutri blender.. make enough to fill you up, you now have a very pleasant drink every morning and you get very regular. Works for me without doing all that shopping for different stuff.

Gottagofishn, ezbite and fvogel67 like this.