FF Friendly at AEP

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Wild One, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Wild One

Wild One Outdoor Enthusiast

Hey guys, I read tons of reports on AEP fishing here on OGF, but have not heard much, if anything from this group.

Next week I'll be driving to a boy scout summer camp mid way through the week. I'll be passing through Zanesville on my way (camp mountaineer in WV) and would love to stop and check out an AEP spot and camp. Can anyone recommend a decent spot that is friendly to the long rodder on a short time frame. I'll only be fishing there from about 7 til dark. Also, anyone know if there are timeframe regulations on when you can fish? I searched the AEP website, but found nothing on the subject. The permit that I obtained online did not mention no fishing after dark, but I would like to be sure.

I hate to just ask blindly for free information, but I'm hoping that someone would be willing to at least point me in the right direction down there. PM is great if you do not want share in the open forum. Thanks folks.

2. Off 70 take rt 83 and go south till you get to rt 284 and hang a right. After several miles Campsite C will be on the right. Fishing after dark is ok. Sites are first come first serve but in the middle of the week it souldn't be a problem. Next time you go down you can explore more ponds.

3. Lots of good fishing down there thats for sure. Most of the ponds you have to hike to, and if you don't have easily portable watercraft then the fishing will be hard with a fly rod. Most of the ponds way back in that I have seen have trees and such right up to the waters edge.

4. Wild One

Thanks guys...kinda what I figured.

5. Just because most of the water is way back in doesn't mean that you shouldn't check it out. There are plenty of ponds at the camp sites which you can fish from shore that will keep you busy for awhile.
    Here is a link to help you out. http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/default.htm
    Check the links at the bottom of the page. The first link is a map of the whole place. You'll need to print that map if you go there. You also have to get a permit to fish, hunt, or camp there, but the permit is free and all you do is go to the permit link and fill it out and print.
    ReCreation land is an amazing place, I used to hunt deer down there during the early archery season. I fished there as well, but since we were there for deer, I never really fished a whole lot. When I did fish, I was never disappointed, and I want to take my family down there for a camping/fishing trip.

J.

6. Wild One

Thanks J.
    I actually printed off my permit a couple weeks ago. I've been researching the area for the better part of this year and some a little last year, but just haven't ever heard anyone talk about taking the fly rod out down there. I assumed it was due to the foliage and cover around most of the ponds.

I also printed out the maps from the ReCreation website and some google maps as well. Looks like an easy place to get lost with all those little country roads!

One other thing I haven't read about anywhere...what is the camp fee? Thanks again for the info!

7. The camping is free, but be warned that it is primitive camping only. There is no electric hookups, showers, etc. There is drinking water available from hand pump
    wells at each camp ground, as well as outhouses.

Yes one could easily get turned around there, it's a big place, but if you walk far enough you'll find a road. I really like it down there, and I can't wait to go back.

J.

8. Wild One

Thanks for all of the info J!

Guess I'll have to see what happens!
    I'll be sure I post a TR when I get back next week.:)