Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few years, I have really taken to targeting wipers.... they put up one heck of a fight. I've had more hooks bitten straight off my line than I ever had targeting them along with losing my first pole. I walked away from it to take a picture of my stringer. It got snatched into the water and as I was nearing it, it took off as if Jaws had it.

So far, the best baits have been large white rooster tails, VMC Mooneye jigs with twister tails or gulp minnows or flukes. Carolina rig with minnows or shiners..... of all the different baits, I've caught the most and the largest with none other than........................ Chicken liver!!!! Lol. Why? I do not understand it, but chicken liver on a Carolina rig nails them. For two weeks in a row, was able to get into them in the same spot. Last two weeks, none. Well, no keepers. A bunch of little guys. I am guessing this or last years stocking. Thinking the larger ones have moved out to deeper water.

What are your go to baits when the wiper bite gets tough?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The wipers are raised on liver/chicken liver flavored pellets in the hatchery. Hence their taste for chicken liver.
Good answer!!! For years I have caught them in the Ohio on chicken livers and wondered why they would be attracted to them.
A wiper is not that much different in habits than a largemouth bass, who would never "stoop" to dining on chicken livers. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Trolling ribbed , 4-5", swimbaits on a VMC under spinner jighead has caught me a wiper each of the two times I targeted them.(i had to put "stouter" rod holders on my boat because both strikes jerked my rods from "perpendicular" to straight back, parallel to the boat! Best fighting fish I've encountered since we used to catch big, true stripers at WB in the '90's!)-see avatar pic.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Good answer!!! For years I have caught them in the Ohio on chicken livers and wondered why they would be attracted to them.
A wiper is not that much different in habits than a largemouth bass, who would never "stoop" to dining on chicken livers. Thanks!!!
Either me or a buddy caught a largemouth on chicken liver once. It's been nearly 30 years so I can't recall all the details.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Trolling ribbed , 4-5", swimbaits on a VMC under spinner jighead has caught me a wiper each of the two times I targeted them.(i had to put "stouter" rod holders on my boat because both strikes jerked my rods from "perpendicular" to straight back, parallel to the boat! Best fighting fish I've encountered since we used to catch big, true stripers at WB in the '90's!)-see avatar pic.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts