close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite Web Site Software

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Pete Moss, Jan 29, 2005.

1. What is your favorite software for web site development? I bought Dreamweaver mx a year ago, but it is so expansive that I am still trying to wade thru the manual. It seems like a good program so mabe I'm just not that smart.

2. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I use Frontpage 98, for years I did the HTML stuff then I got Frontpage, easy wysiwyg, still using it to this day

3. What ever software you use its a good idea to download the top browsers and check your codes out on each one to ensure they work and look the way you've set them up too ;)
    I write my own code and don't use any programs...

Get a couple of the free HTML writing programs offered on www.zdnet.com then create a small version of what your looking for then use your program to add/edit and learn as you go instead of before...

4. I do web development at work and at home. Before I started doing it at work I used FrontPage 2000. When work started having me do web stuff we started with Macromedia Studio MX. Now I'm almost solely writing .NET code with Visual Basic and in the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 application.

Frontpage 2000 would like to compete with Dreamweaver MX but it doesn't in the corporate world. Most FrontPage 2000 sites end up looking like templates and it is generally considered a weaker, less robust product. Using Frontpage for personal websites is just fine and still a better option than doing it yourself.

Visual Studio .NET 2003 is another giant leap for mankind for business web development. The automation tools that integrate with databases like SQLServer, Oracle, or Access are very rich in functionality. It doesn't take any time at all to write pages that are connecting to data, creating reports, and having a very efficient User Interface. Just this week I got back from my second course (506 from www.learningtree.com ) on ASP.NET Enterprise Web Development. It was a really good course.

For those people that just are writing Personal Home Pages I still recommend Dreamweaver MX over doing it from scratch. Using Dreamweaver you could still write code manually if you chose but the advantage is that it colors and on the fly checks your syntax. If your writing a mix of Javascript, ASP and HTML then I think this is your tool.

Writing code by yourself in a large scale web project is like walking to Florida, you can get there but it will take a lot longer than driving. You'll probably also make a lot of wrong turns before you arrive at your destination. There are many advantages to using tools like Dreamweaver and Visual Studio MX. It's really the best of both worlds, writing code yourself and using the automation tools to generate the code, check your syntax for you and give you rich controls (DataGrids, Calendar's, etc).

Favorite Parts about Dreamweaver:
    • Good at generating front end Javacript
    • Very good at synchronizing changes to your local web site to the server.
    • Gets you off the ground and running on almost all the technologies (html, asp, .net, php, etc)
    Favorite Parts about Visual Studio:
    • Rich Web Controls you can drag and drop onto your web page.
    • Intellisense and Autocompletion during coding makes finding the thousands of class members and methods a snap.
    • Deployment of .NET projects easy with .msi Windows Installer built-in.
    • Compiles code into DLL's for a faster web page request.
    You can find deals on both Dreamweaver and Visual Studio .NET on ebay all the time.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've used GoLive, didn't find it nearly as powerful as Dreamweaver. I think I've tried just about every WYSIWYG editor made, and Dreamweaver is in a league of it's own.

Back in the day, it was all by hand using notepad :D I'm real hesitant to use any Microsoft web applications if I can help it, as they seem to only cater to other microsoft apps, like IE and Windows Server. I still prefer unix based web platforms, and languages.

6. LMAO Bill thats a very crude tangable...
    If you write your own code and use templates and CSS your good to go for non-complex websites and such but of course its no longer needed with all the great software programs to use and cut your learning curve down to almost nil...
    GREAT point made there Shake...