close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

favorite steelhead outfit.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stormfront, Jul 31, 2007.

1. stormfront

stormfront Guest

what are your favorite rod and reel combos for steelhead. planning on buying another and would like some input from you vets. thanks, rap

2. I use different reels but the same rod primarily. My reels consist of a stradic, symmetre, or Sedona, all 2500 series. My rod is Berkley IM7 10'6. I love it!

3. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

River pro rods 8'6" with a 4000 series reel shimano symetre(rear drag) or stradic

4. Depends on where you are fishing. If mostly rivers, I would go 10' or above for a spinning rod. I prefer the St. Croix models (not wild river) which have some decent backbone/power for their length. The mid-range shimanos are a safe choice, in the 2000/2500 size.

For lake/pier fishing, I will typically go with an even longer rod (12'+) with a sligthtly larger reel to accomodate more line. I want to be able to cast a long way when necessary.

5. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Exactly what I was going to say. I had that rod with the symetre and loved it. I broke the rod but will be rplacing it with another this season.

6. are you talking casting in rivers or open water trolling? I use my walleye rigs...shimano tekota 500lc's on off shore angler gold cup , 8'6" rods.

7. stormfront

stormfront Guest

sorry, i was talking river and stream fishing. my bad.

8. I use a 10.6 St Croix Wild Rivers Rod/ ultra lite power w/ slow action teamed with two different reels, one is a Quantum Response Ti 3000 and one is a 10 bearing Okuma Aria Ar30 both with 50 powerpro main line and I use 6 and 8 pound Seaguar Flouro for leader sections.

9. stormfront

stormfront Guest

noticed the wind river rods have a long and short handled configuration. what is the short handled (butt) for. like the looks but do not understand the function.

10. I use the short butt section one, it has more cork above the reel. I like because you can hold that part with your other hand to allow for better control of the fish and those last moment pulls to land the fish. The long one just gets in my way where as the short one has that extra cork above the reel that I actually use to my advantage. I also fish my spinning setup like a fly rod setup and if you look at fly rods most do not have the long butts like that.

11. Two St.Croix Premier rod's in 9, 10.5 with a Lews Gold Spin 1 .