close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite Spinning Reel?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by PartTimeBasser, May 22, 2005.

1. I have focused my tackle upgrades on baitcasting equipment the last few years and have become very satisfied with the Abu Garcia C3 series. I became quickly hooked on their simplicity, good price and durability.

Now, however, i feel it is time to start replacing my Mitchell 300's with newer style "balanced" reels. I like the idea of feeling the pulse of the lure rather than the vibration of the reel's bail and rotor. I want to keep the cost as resonable as possible (hopefully in the under-$40 range) and get the best "bang for the buck" in spinning gear. I will be using 6 to 10 lb test line with 1/16 up to maybe 1/2-oz lures with 6-1/2 foot medium to medium-heavy action rods. I'd appreciate your input on what has worked (or not worked) for the rest of you!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tim

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

They are a bit more than what you said you wanted to spend, but I would encourage you to take a look at the Shimano Symetre, or the Shimano Stradic. These reels are as smooth and balanced as they get.

The Symetre is about $85, although I got my last one at Kames on clearance for $39.

The Stradic runs about $125.

3. They're not fancy and they don't carry a big name, but I've been using the MegaCast reels put out by Bass Pro Shops. They have three or four sizes and all they do is cast and retrieve. At less than $25 per reel, I haven't found anything to beat the cost.

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You might want to check out eBAy, you do take a risk, but if they have good feedback, I've never had a problem. You can get a better quality reel brand new for less. Sometimes they are shops unloading tackle, sometimes it's people who've bought them at auctions at businesses closing, etc.
    Personally I like the Fin Nor Megalite reels. They have a great drag system...but they are in the $100+ range.

5. Look at the Penn 4300SS it is the C3 of spinning reels. Manda's has the best price ( I believe about $63 ). I am seeing them on E-bay for about 45. It is not the smoothest reel out there but is simple and very rugged. There is and updated 4300SSq that is has more bearings and the roller clutch bearing instant anti reveres for about $79. brobably none on E-bay since this is a brand new reel. I have several of the Pen reels if you want to check one out. I may even have one or two I will sell.

6. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

Shimanos are awesome. The BPS Megacast reels are excellant for the price.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

since you're a mitchell man,check out the new mitchells.right in your price range,at 39-49 bucks.in the last couple years,i've bought two 300's and a 308.they are much smoother than the old ones.so far,i don't have one complaint.the drag is very smooth,instant anti-reverse is very good.i don't think they can be beat,for the price.

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Might want to try out the okuma's, I have a few and like them very much.

9. Get the new Mitchell! I have a 308 and love it and my next reel will be a 300.

10. Thanks for the input! It gives me some more information to go on as I shop for replacements. I always feel more comfortable buying equipment that has proven itself for other folks, than I do buying a "pig in a poke"!