Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite cattin Rig?..I use a standard slip sinker rig for my fishing, rivers and lakes.

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
I used to use the semi fixed lead (slip rig with a splitshot 12-18" above it to stop the lead). Would use circle hooks with this rig. Don't think it would work very well in current, but it worked great in the res's I was fishing aroudn here. When the fish would run with the bait, the lead would grab...and sink the circle into the corner of the fishes mouth. Only thing I had to deal with was engaging my 6500's and bringing the fish in :)

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
For flatheads on local rivers...a heavy slip sinker rig with a banksinker works great. Also no leader, let the sinker slide all the way to the hook.
For everywhere else its a 3-way rig for sure!! ;) :cool:

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
You,know I always use a leader, but have been thinking of trying w/out one, could you get by w/out using a leader if your using no roll sinkers? or will it only work w/ bank sinker and/or egg sinkers?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I fish mostly live bait and I love the 3-way rig. It allows me to adjust the bait height from the bottom easily and it allows the bait to swim naturally.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use both the 3-way rig and slip-sinker setup. I definitely prefer the 3-way when using live bait because I believe it keeps the bait from being able to hide so much, and with cut bait, it keeps the bait from just lying on the bottom. When I use a slip-sinker rig, it is only with cut bait. One more thing, I also believe that I've had better and more consistant hook-ups when using 3-way rigs, regardless of using cut or live bait.

·
Banned
5,617 Posts
In lakes I always use the bottom/float rig. A leader about 12" in length with about a 2-3 oz sinker, but a torpedo float by the bait. Keeps the bait up off the bottom. Plus you can set the depth of you bait from the bottom up. Just let out a foot of line at a time, and you always know how far off the bottom your bait is. In rivers, I've switched to slip sinker with NO leader. CATKING

·
Cats are where it's at!
1,497 Posts
I guess my favorite rigs are the ones where I catch fish! :)

I have used many different rigs. Each place I fish may need a different rig due to current, bait, and position I want to fish. Not many people in Ohio drift fish for cats but I made drift sinkers myself after discovering the effectiveness of the system at Santee Cooper.

I have a large collection of hooks and sinkers in my catbag. This makes for a heavy unit but I am able to make different rigs to suit most situations.

Mostly I observe the water I want to fish and select the simplest rig that will best suit my needs.

Rigging

I have been thinking of experimenting with a new flathead rig all winter and plan to try it out SOON

·
Carp Angler
1,388 Posts
katfish said:
I have been thinking of experimenting with a new flathead rig all winter and plan to try it out SOON
The suspense is killing me here...:D

And since when was DA KING a catman. He could've fooled me with that CAG hat and the boring "18 14" story.:confused: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts