close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite Rig

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by flathunter, Apr 22, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

What is your favorite cattin Rig?..I use a standard slip sinker rig for my fishing, rivers and lakes.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I used to use the semi fixed lead (slip rig with a splitshot 12-18" above it to stop the lead). Would use circle hooks with this rig. Don't think it would work very well in current, but it worked great in the res's I was fishing aroudn here. When the fish would run with the bait, the lead would grab...and sink the circle into the corner of the fishes mouth. Only thing I had to deal with was engaging my 6500's and bringing the fish in :)

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

For flatheads on local rivers...a heavy slip sinker rig with a banksinker works great. Also no leader, let the sinker slide all the way to the hook.
    For everywhere else its a 3-way rig for sure!! ;) :cool:

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

You,know I always use a leader, but have been thinking of trying w/out one, could you get by w/out using a leader if your using no roll sinkers? or will it only work w/ bank sinker and/or egg sinkers?

5. I fish mostly live bait and I love the 3-way rig. It allows me to adjust the bait height from the bottom easily and it allows the bait to swim naturally.

6. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish A catfish in human form

I use a slip sinker rig most of the time,but use a 3-way in the tailrace's.

7. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

I use both the 3-way rig and slip-sinker setup. I definitely prefer the 3-way when using live bait because I believe it keeps the bait from being able to hide so much, and with cut bait, it keeps the bait from just lying on the bottom. When I use a slip-sinker rig, it is only with cut bait. One more thing, I also believe that I've had better and more consistant hook-ups when using 3-way rigs, regardless of using cut or live bait.

8. catking

catking Banned

In lakes I always use the bottom/float rig. A leader about 12" in length with about a 2-3 oz sinker, but a torpedo float by the bait. Keeps the bait up off the bottom. Plus you can set the depth of you bait from the bottom up. Just let out a foot of line at a time, and you always know how far off the bottom your bait is. In rivers, I've switched to slip sinker with NO leader. CATKING

9. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

I guess my favorite rigs are the ones where I catch fish! :)

I have used many different rigs. Each place I fish may need a different rig due to current, bait, and position I want to fish. Not many people in Ohio drift fish for cats but I made drift sinkers myself after discovering the effectiveness of the system at Santee Cooper.

I have a large collection of hooks and sinkers in my catbag. This makes for a heavy unit but I am able to make different rigs to suit most situations.

Mostly I observe the water I want to fish and select the simplest rig that will best suit my needs.

Rigging

I have been thinking of experimenting with a new flathead rig all winter and plan to try it out SOON

10. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

The suspense is killing me here...:D

And since when was DA KING a catman. He could've fooled me with that CAG hat and the boring "18 14" story.:confused: :D