Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 159 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
My kid is a big fan of Massey's too. We have to run up to the Cbus area once a month or so for his fix. Lately I've preferred my own homemade pizza crust with homemade sauce. Haven't ventured into homemade mozzarella yet, but soon. Don't imagine I'll ever bother trying to make my own pepperoni though.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
Dinofo’s on 7th street in Dover. Larry died, the place closed, and yes I believe it did burn down. Was in a century home.
If you liked Dinofo's, Magoo's by the New Phila airport has pizza that is pretty close. If you remember the salads at Dinofo's... they have that too..... LOTS of garlic!

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I need to eat pizza outside of Columbus more often. I admit. I very much prefer "Columbus style" thin crispy crust with ezzo or similar pepperoni. With a good buttery Detroit style crust with a tangy sauce coming in 2nd.
I've never been been a fan of a hand tossed style dough. But to be honest when I think of hand tossed I think of Papa John's and dominos,neither one I like. I'm sure if I had a good wood fired version with good ingredients I'd like it better.
The closest thing I've had to a NY style slice is sbarro.lol. if cooked crispy enough though I love me so Sbarro so I'm sure I'd love the real deal.
I've had thick stuffed pizza from Chicago but don't care for it. I feel it's a casserole on crust.
I have not tried Chicago pub style. But would love to.
When we vacation out of state I always get a pizza the first night I'm back in town because of the lack of good (my preferred style) pizza in the vacation spots I visit...

· TeamOGF
7,022 Posts
In North Canton we have a number of good choices with Italo's being one of my favorites, also Pizza Oven is pretty good. In the square of Greentown, there's an East of Chicago's shop that also makes a great pizza.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
In North Canton we have a number of good choices with Italo's being one of my favorites, also Pizza Oven is pretty good. In the square of Greentown, there's an East of Chicago's shop that also makes a great pizza.
I just picked up Italos fried chicken for the first time Friday night. It's awesome! Got a large pepperoni and a 12 piece chicken and JoJo's. The JoJo's aren't my favorite. Anyway, it was a ladies night out so after milking I picked up Italos for my boys and my nephew who were out planting soybeans at a farm we rent that has a really high elevation. We ate Italos off the tailgate of the truck and watched that storm come in just praying for rain. We didn't get in a hurry till it started falling. Funny, I was complaining about it this spring and now I'm praying for it. It just made for a awesome Friday night.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
If you liked Dinofo's, Magoo's by the New Phila airport has pizza that is pretty close. If you remember the salads at Dinofo's... they have that too..... LOTS of garlic!
Tried Magoos, and although they try, the pizza just doesn’t match what Larry Dinofo used to make. The salad is very close.

· Registered
351 Posts
Just shows the old saying still goes, "different strokes for different folks". I don't like any of those three.

We used to like Gionino's but they changed their cheese and it now tastes like, and has the consistency of, plastic.

I need to try Giordano's. It was great in Chicago, but the other's I've tried that went national were no where near as good as they were (East of Chicago and Pizzaria Uno, for examples).

· On the back 9 and loving it!
10,862 Posts
So many good shops. I really don't think I've ever had a bad slice of pizza.

View attachment 490895
Then you must have never had Domino's! Back when we were still young enough to be closing the bars on Friday and Saturday nights, one night we wound up at someone's house and a bunch of us were hungry. Then someone remembered that Domino's had just opened a local store and were open late, and they delivered! So, we called and ordered a couple of pies. I was starving by the time they arrived! I grabbed a slice and took a bite. The crust tasted like the cardboard it came in with just a touch of mildew as an accent! It was disgusting! I managed to gag down one slice because I was so hungry, but that was it.

Years later, Domino's even admitted that their crust wasn't up to snuff in an advertising campaign about their "new" crust. I've still never bought another pizza from them. Too many good local shops around to even bother with national chains. In my opinion you can put the best quality topping on a bad crust and you know what you have? Bad pizza! The crust is the foundation of the pie and it needs to be good!

2,389 Posts
Dinofo’s on 7th street in Dover. Larry died, the place closed, and yes I believe it did burn down. Was in a century home.
Back in my high school days(60’s) there was a lady in Dover, Mary Zeifer, who made pizzas on her built in back porch. We would order one, pull up to the back of her house in an alley and pick it up. She was a short little Italian lady that always wore an apron and a smile.
I probably still have burn scars on the roof of my mouth from eating those thick crusted sauce and cheese laden delights.

I was gonna add to your Dinofo's with the Mary Zifers, two of the best pizza's ever made....

41 - 60 of 159 Posts