Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your guys go to hooks when it comes to catfish?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gama octopus circles. 5/0 for channels

Sent from my Droid DNA

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gama octopus but not circles. Im old school so I like to Sworp Em! 4-6 depending on taype and size of bait.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
10s, you dont like bait over 6" and you use 10s. How many 6" shad do you put on a 10/0 hook...10 of them. :D

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
5/0 4X gama circles

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Everyone uses gama Octo's. Trust me, I cant find the darn things anywhere. Everytime I go to get more anywhere i go, the biggest they got left are 5's. About to have to get em online since im getting kinda low on em. Good thing i bought like twenty packs back in January on sale

I use a 7/0 or larger. I seem to use 8/0 the most. Also seem to get a better hook up ratio with the larger ones. I never worry about a hook being too big for cats since I've caught 1/2# channels on 8/0 plenty of times.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
10s, you dont like bait over 6" and you use 10s. How many 6" shad do you put on a 10/0 hook...10 of them. :D
I never said I didnt use big baits......I just prefer the 5 to 7 inch gills for flathead. Easy to use, keep, and pin down close to structure.

Biggest bait ive used was a 2lb 14oz hybrid striper on the ohio river .....a 10/0 wasnt big enough trust me. I had a 10 oz pyramid on it too.....that wasnt big enough either. I ended up dropping it vertically 3 foot off bottom and putting the rod in a rod holder. And then listening to it rock the boat all night.

Ive got 10/0s pre rigged for tomorrow and saturday. If I use anything bigger than an 8 inch gill ill use them. Oh yea and ive got a few over 8"s in the tank now.;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use gama octo circles, 4/0-6/0.

There is a guy that sets up at the south high drive in flea market. He bought a storage unit that was bulk fishing tackle. He sells them 1$ per pack an they are brand new. He has pretty much every size and shape possible. I couldn't help myself and spent 20$ and got 20 packs.
He had a white van. Had a few poles leaning in a table.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
820 Posts
I caught a 2-3# cat on a 8/0 gama circle before. I would say a 6/0 is a good size. If they can't fit that in their mouth then I don't want to waste my time with them anyways.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you guys think of mustad hooks?

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
What do you guys think of mustad hooks?
Only used em once. Odnr just stocked the youth lake with three hundred channels in may and we camped there that weekend so I could get my kiddos on some cats. Like a dummy, forgot to bring smaller hooks. Thankfully, rangers were there to offer lessons and rods n tackle. Best I could find in there little give-a-way were some 3/0 mustads.

They worked for my girls fine but didn't really like the way the hooks pointed akwardly towards the shank. Ain't used them since but still got em just in case. Gama octo's are always my go to, just think the designs simplicity is what makes it work.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
173 Posts
5/0-8/0 daiichi, and owner circle hooks. thinking about giving the bottom dwellers hooks a try though. I snell my hooks, and use 20lbs main line, and 40lbs leader. I run mono 100%, I tried braid, its not for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts