Favorite fluorocarbon knots

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Bent Rod, Apr 15, 2008.

1. I bought a spool of berkley pro floro line to try tomarrow. I guess since we all prayed for a little dryer weather we got some. And since its going to be so sunny I thought i would give it a whirl. What do you guys recomend I'm only going to be tying a leader from a microswivel down to a hook. :G The palomar knot looked like it might be tough to tie to a small hook eye.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Improved Trilene knot. Don't use a polamar with florocarbon. Wet the knot before you pull it tight!

3. I know it is commonly said that you should not use a Palomar knot with fluorocarbon line, but I do so regularly with no problems. The key to making a Palomar work with fluorocarbon is to NOT CREASE the line! As in run the line though the eye of your swivel then double back through the eye to create your loop rather than creasing the line to push the loop through the eye all at once. When tying on a fluorocarbon leader, I use a Palomar knot to tie onto the micro swivel and then a uni/clinch knot to the hook. By tying the stronger Palomar to swivel and weaker Uni/Clinch to hook, I will usually break off just above the hook which will save my leader and allow me to re-tie only a hook.

John

4. Clinch knot is what I've used for years, as said above wet it before you tighten it!

5. Thaks for the tips guys. I didn't get a chance to use them today. I did fish the upper chagrin for a little bit, after my son got out of school, which was very low and clear. My son got one right away on the 6lb. mono so i never switched over. He broke another one off in the rocks and I picked up 2 nice smallies. His fish was a spent hen, and I saw no attempts by any fish to get further upstream:( We fished with minnows today. And I'm not sure if he enjoyed catching the steelhead more or poking me in the ribs about not getting one! All I could say was "don't forget to tip your guide" :D