Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for fly pattern suggestions for the first few weeks of August for the following:

Crappie (lake)
Trout (stream fishing, probably Mohican)
Small Mouth (river, probably Cuyahoga but not limited to this)

Any thoughts on particular streamers, hairwing patterns, jigs, poppers, etc., as well as dries and wets?

Maybe terrestrials? I have started seeing grasshoppers here and there.
Seems a bit early but I've seen them.

I'm off for a few days and wanted to catch up on my tying, and then go do some serious fishing the first part of next week because I have that week off.

My local go-to place is Nimisila, because I live less than a mile from it.

But I can go anywhere. Not limited to just Nimi.

I can fish from shore but also have a 14' boat with an electric motor as well.

Wading is also not a problem.

I have a 3 wt, a 4 wt, a 5-6 wt and a 7-8 wt.

Looking for any input as to what others here are thinking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been hitting the rivers pretty often this summer for smallies mostly on the grand. Been noticing I'm getting more fish on bigger streamers the last 2 weeks and have been doing very well in the evening throwing popers/hoppers in the slack water.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you are fishing the Mohican (Trout) then the Big Fuzzies that you mentioned are spot on. If you are talking the CF in the park, same.

The Leukons will be coming off in a week or so but that is so haphazard of a hatch that it's hard to say when or where. Well, no so much "where", look for mud/silt bottom, and be in position ~20:00 hrs. and ready to shoot.
R

·
grateful thread
226 Posts
My opinion on smallmouth- There isn't a smallie in the world that won't pounce on a crawdad.... Anytime of the year.

Terrestrials for trout - hoppers, ants, beetles, etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts