Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally just toss my gills and perch in a little flour with seasoning and they come out cripsy and great but I'm looking to expand. I've used pancake mix with light beer for the less desirable fish and that comes out ok but not the best.

I've used store bought fish fry breading many times before and I like that,especially the southern fried fish blends. There was one I used before called Drakes (I think) that I liked also.

But I'm wondering what you guys use and if you have some easy homemade blends like cornmeal,flour and starch mix?

Looking to expand to something other than store bought.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,005 Posts
Andy's Red (Cajun mix) is awesome. For my kids I add a couple tablespoons of powdered Parmesan cheese to balance the spices. We all love it.
Rickerd

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lots of good choices, but I have settled on Frying Magic for it's simplicity, the light coating it provides and its blend of spices. People almost always comment on how good the fish turns out. No egg, water or other dips necessary- just shake moist fillets in a Ziploc bag with enough mix to cover them. Then, set them on a plate for 20-30 minutes to allow the batter to get gummy, similar to the instructions on other dry mixes. This step keeps most of the coating on the fillets and not fall off into the oil while being fried. (When the coating falls to the bottom of the deep fryer, it continues to cook until it darkens the oil excessively). Fry until golden brown, depending on fillet thickness......

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Andy's Cajun is good, but they don't call it Cajun for nothing. Too hot for me. For perch ,bluegills, and crappies you can't beat Zatarains Crispy Southern . Has a little zing to it, but doesn't overpower like Andys

·
Registered
279 Posts
Zatarans or andys for me. The wife just a flour dusting with a sprinkle of cavenders and salt. Ill never do the milk soak again. We decided to give it a go yestsrday and it took all the taste out of the walleye

·
Registered
97 Posts
Salt and pepper then roll em' in flour, dip quickly in straight milk [washes most of the flour off but keeps a lite coating on], then roll em' in regular bread crumbs. Dipping them in the milk after the flour keeps the batter thin, but enough.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts