Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Ive fished creeks for a long time with spinners, small cranks, and jigs only. Using ultralight spinning gear. I caught tons of fish and occasionaly some up to 16 inches.

I switched to Buzzbaits, 4 inch black senkos, 4 inch black sickletail powerworms texas rigged with a 1/16 oz weight. Sometimes a skitterpop.
all on 10lb test baitcast gear. Fished in pools and riffles, and the same places as usual.

THE RESULT ___ I only catch about a third of the fish that I used too.
averaging from 10 - 18 inches and several up to 21 inches.

The thing is big fish like bigger bulkier lures, and smallies aren't shy at all about smashing a buzzbait in the middle of a shallow riffle.

i have been fishing both of the darby creeks b/c i live on the little this year i found a lot of success w/ bright colored rooster tails u will get a lot of rock bass w these and small mouth but traditonally i like the pumpkin seed and watermelon zoom u can put a rattle inside and it works very well

As mentioned, Jig and twister tail (white) for sure !!
Rocket Shad - spinner bait - Any Walmart - Chartuese or white - deadly!
Northland Mimic Minnow - Silver Shiner paddle tail - stupid deadly!

i definatley would go with any bright colored rooster tails. i have had great results with these in the Darby creeks.

Changing my Fav lol, the grub catches to small of fish. It is now a 4inch Tube rigged how ever you want. Great lure.

I fish the sandusky river outside of bucyrus . its just about a creek by than,
and in the past i would fish it with ul gear , with no real big fish hooked. then i started fishin it just like i would any other body of big water. and was i blowed away in how many nice fish it did hold . the bigger the bait , the bigger the fish id hook in the pools and eddys. 4 in worm and lizzard, and 3/16 bass jig with a craw is my fav

I like to have these items in my river box every time: 3-4" dark, natural colored tubes, Zoom Fat Albert grubs also in a natural, some smaller white grubs, white Flukes, 1/8 oz. black buzzbait, a small spinnerbait of some kind, a few mepps in-lines, a fat bodied crankbait, 3" Husky Jerk, silver/black Rapala floating minnow, and maybe some small senko type baits. That should about cover my needs for any river situation. I like to have those items. Usually i just end up with a bag of assorted used plastics and a couple jigheads though and that seems to work most times.

I dunno about "go to" but the first and last thing I throw on any outing is a 1/8 oz buzzbait.

Best lure is the one that looks something like something the fish want to eat.... ;)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.