Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's everyones favorite crappie lake? Mine are...
Spring: buckeye lake
Summer: delaware lake
Fall: buckeye lake

Kyle
HPT
CP

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
302 Posts
For numbers to catch and release Knox Lake, but the size is lacking.

Spring and Fall Hands down Sandusky Bay for large slabs and 15 to 20 a trip.
Now this is just jig fishing. Casting in Spring and Vertical fishing in Fall.

Good question you posted it will be interesting to see everyones input.

Have a Great Day,
JimG

·
167 Posts
Deleware by far.......number one crappie lake around maybe state in my eyes...

·
Sitting somewhere fishing
413 Posts
Lake Mac-O-Chee I was at a YMCA fishing camp there, I lost about a 4 Pound crappie. NO JOKE. Not once but twice, the average fish is like 10 in plus, But alas its private.

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
Griggs! I catch more and bigger crappie out of Griggs than I ever did out of Delaware. Maybe I just never figured out Delaware crappie, but even the tournament results aren't that impressive. ( I know weather is always an issue with that tournament). Griggs would pump out more weight.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I'll have to agree with Waller just as he posted for the year. With Apple Valley as a sleeper during spring at times:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have not fished it this year but my father in law swears by Alum creek and he brings me down some huge slabs and in good numbers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live 15 minutes from Loramie and 30+ from Indian. Loramie is full of 8-11in whites. It can be super hot at last ice. Other than those couple of days, I fish Indian whenever I have the time. Quality much, much better at Indian. Also, the Indian 'gills have saved many a tough days. At Loramie, an 8inch 'gill is a hog and a very rare catch!

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes loramie is great! It was almost my favorite summer lake, just not great size. We fished the buckeye crappie challenge there and got 7th with 4.54 lbs of best 8 fish.
Kyle
HPT
CP

BTW
For those who don't mention buckeye lake in the spring, have you ever tried it? Average size is 11 1/2 inches and a good fish being 14 inches.

I live 15 minutes from Loramie and 30+ from Indian. Loramie is full of 8-11in whites. It can be super hot at last ice. Other than those couple of days, I fish Indian whenever I have the time. Quality much, much better at Indian. Also, the Indian 'gills have saved many a tough days. At Loramie, an 8inch 'gill is a hog and a very rare catch!

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any one ever spider rig for crappies, too?
Kyle
HPT
CP

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fish a crappie trail around ohio, and I can tell you everyones hated lakes are grand lake and ceasers. I know I'm a local for buckeye but still, most fishermen of the trail think it is they're favor. But I still won't pass down a chance to fish salt fork, indian, loramie, or east fork. All some fun lakes.
Kyle
HPT
CP

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jason koesters does. He is not local though, lives around grand lake. If u do want some help right now or whenever on buckeye, give me a pm, I got the lake down pat

does anybody run a charter (1/2 day) on Buckeye Lake?

·
Wurlds Wurst Spellor
585 Posts
My father and I tried to go out with Russ Bailey who does the Midwest Crappie show. Was not impressed at the fact that he would never return our phone calls and then tried to set us up with someone else. It may have been this Jason, because he was from the Grand lake area, but he wanted to charge and extra hundred or so because he was going to have to drive from Grand Lake. To say the least I was a little frustrated so we never used either of there services.

My dad had heard Russ speak at a fishing event put on by Bottomline and was impressed at what he had to say. He also made us curious at some of the dock shooting and other techniques he had mentioned, so we wanted to spend out money with him.

Back to the point of which lake. I fish Buckeye in the spring because it is the closest and I have done okay there. But I fish it more because of the potential that I have seen there. A firefighter friend and I fished a small firefighters tournament there on a Wednesday and I was blown away. Fishing was tough for most of the boats, only about half even got fish, but the top boat weighed in 20 fish at 19 some odd pounds and second was 16 some odd pounds. My numbers may be off a little but I do remember that they had nearly a one pound fish average.
Alum creek and Hoover are also fun in the spring. I have never got into monsters, but I have been able to get into good numbers of 10+ inch fish.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
I like Hoover quite a bit for crappie just because I know it fairly well and can catch a ton of fish. The last 2 years its been a little tougher finding 12+ fish but 9-11s were plentiful. For hogs I like O'shay. Smaller population but bigger fish. I tried buckeye a little early on this spring without much luck but I know little about that lake.

·
Big Jiggin
113 Posts
I would suggest the north end of alum also. Very nice up by howard rd dock. Have done pretty good there for years. All no wake.

MAC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts