Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, all you steelie fans....gimme names of your top 3 steelhead colors and size.
thanks!

·
3,317 Posts
orange crush silver back, watermellon copper back, hammered silver spoon/spinner and smooth gold spinner/spoon combo rigs

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Still learning....but the colors that get hit for me are blues, purples, oranges with silver.

Good luck.

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
Green junior thunderstick,Trout jointed thunderstick the big one

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Was at Kame's today looking for "Orange Crush" spoons. They had a color chart hanging there and a quick look did not reveal that name, nor did the rack of colors they carry. Is that the exact name as there were several other references to "Orange" but not that particular one? Thanks for any help.
ps-Any lure with orange on it has always been good for me for steelies!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If memory serves me right, Orange Crush has an orange stripe on one side of the spoon with the rest being silver. Double Orange Crush has an orange stripe on both sides. Both will work at times for both walleye and steelhead.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
When you are on the steelhead and going the right speed it is pretty rare that color matters much. In general blues / pinks / oranges as the others have said and normally more chrome rather than the copper...

BUT true story from last years steelhead fishing off of Lorain. Walleye limits were easy and fast about two / three miles out from shore between Lorain & Avon on the normal copper based walleye spoons. I would get my walleye in the morning and then head out to the steelhead 8-12 miles north of Lorain. My plan was to start out steelhead fishing with my "walleye" spoons and then gradually switch over to my "steelhead" spoons. Never had a chance to make the switch as the steelhead fishing was on fire for a few weeks. I don't think I changed a spoon for 2-3 weeks other than if I need to swap one out because it was time for new hooks.

Most people have a hard time getting comfortable running 3 MPH.

Once you have located the fish SPEED IS THE KEY...
Steve

·
Registered
572 Posts
boy-girl, silver watermelon, dbl orange crush, red devil and blue blubble - dont forget the snubbers and keep them drags loose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts