close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite brand of zinger?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by rweis, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Besides going with a wire cord, any favorite brand of zinger? Any tricks for keeping them attached? Thoughts on the coiled plastic zingers?

2. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

I would say they all works the same but whichever is the makes things the easiest. This is something that I always played with. Butr lately I have putting them away inside my Orvis waist shoulder bag so they be out of the way. I get so annoyed when they get pulled out and lost when I work my way thru brush when fishing.

3. BlueDun

BlueDun Member

Aren't most of them made to attach to vests or packs with pins? I just pin them to my vest and have never had a problem with one of them getting pulled off or otherwise falling off. I have both Orvis and Cabelas brand zingers.

4. I tried a cabelas and pulled it out and it just hung there never retracted back. Would have cost me more to send it back then what I paid for it. So I threw it out. I just tie forceps and nippers to a mini phone cord thing atach one end to a d-ring and put the tools in my vest pocket until I need them.

5. BlueDun

BlueDun Member

The mini phone cord is a good idea. How do you attach the d-ring to your vest or pack?

6. I had a great Cabelas one with wire cord that was a pin on for many years, was sad when i noticed I had lost it, so went to Gander Mtn and they only had some reel cheapies so i was forced against my will to go to the local Orvis store, spent about 25 bucks for a new one and a decent set of nippers, first time out, they fell off, I was livid, mentioned it to the local Orvis rep who said "yeah, we here that all the time", he never offered me any discount on another one, never getting another Orvis one , thats for sure, latest is a pair of nail trimmers tied on a piece of nylon rope, I doubt Ill ever loose that one.;)

Salmonid

7. If it's loose I just tie a knot on the d-ring on your vest like it was a rope. BUt if you find a key chain with one they usually have a ring attached to the end of them, or some type of connector.. They stretch out eventually, but it works. I'm sure you can find some have duty mini phone cords somewhere for real cheap.

8. I use plastic coiled zingers and they work just fine. I don't know what brand they are, (my brother gave them to me, since he got a bunch free at his work), and they are easily attached/removed by an alligator clamp on the back. I just can't justify paying a ton of money on an overpriced zinger from a specialty fishing store when you could probably get nearly the same quality at an office supply store for much cheaper.

9. Just lost my second nipper that was attached to an Orvis pin on style zinger!:mad: I am going to try a clip on style (found one with nippers on ebay for less then Orvis sells the zinger alone) and see if stays put any better.