close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fat Fall Crappie

Discussion in 'Panfish Discussions' started by shorebound, Oct 11, 2008.

1. got into some decent crappie action Friday at Berlin jiging some marabou jigs i tied up. i got two nice ones one was 10" the biggest was 11". but all of them i caught Friday got a real good jump start on stuffing them selfs for winter. caught the most on orange and krystal flash 1/8 seemed they liked the smaller size jigs the best.

2. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Got these friday. Conditions were tough but found a good bunch out of the wind.
    [​IMG]

3. glad someone was doing something on Saturday i couldn't get one single bite on friday good looking stringer

4. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Chaunc what does your freezer look like?

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Not very promising.:( My daughters and grandsons are fishing my freezer weekly. I'll put 4 to 6 bags in, they take 3 to 5 bags out.:) But seriously, thats why i clean so many. They've always loved eating fish and so do i.

6. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Lol surprised but happy lol.
    Getting so many your obviously just keeping the population in check ;)
    Keep um coming good job!

7. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Got these yesterday but guess what..... my brother is bringing his family over this afternoon to pickup a few bags of crappie fillets.:( Like i said, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.:p
    [​IMG]

And dont worry. It's a very big lake/ resevoir, and i'm not putting a dent in the population.

8. Lookin' good Ken!!!

If my knee feels better, we'll see about Sunday (depends on weather)

9. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Carl, if the steelers play at 1:, i wont be there. If it's a late game, i'll make it. I threw back 25 fish that day. Just didn't feel like cleaning them and i was by myself.;)

10. stormfront

stormfront Guest

chaunc, how many guys do you feed at the get-togethers also? plus you cook for us.

11. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Rich, for those occasions, i'll fish a couple times early that week and put the fish together, for the fish-together.:D No need to freeze them. If i have a bad week,:confused: :p , i'll dig some out of the freezer.

12. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Had a couple senior citizens from the burgh come up and do some fall crappie fishing with me. One is 77 and the other is 82. Had a great time and caught some nice fish too.
    [​IMG]

13. chaunc.. Nice bunch of fish Cong's....It had to make a warm spot in your heart to take the Two Old Timers out and catch fish...years ago I couldn't say that now I can I am there...I want too Thank You for taking them out and showing them they are not dead yet...All I can say is you are one Hell of a Fisherman....GOOD FISHING GUY:B
    P.S. What lake do you fish over there...I may have to try it next spring .Pa. is where I was born and raised in for 25 Years and It is still home...As they say you can take the boy out of the hills but you can't take the hill out of the boy...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  14. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I fish shenango lake in mercer county. Its just across the border from mosquito lake. About 25 minutes across 305 E. and another 10 minutes to the lake.
    It was really great to be able to take these guys fishing. My dad never fished so this was very special for me.:) And .... dont wait for spring. They're biting good right now.;)

15. Thanks chaunc if I get a half decent day may just make a run up...Where can I find a Bait Shop and Ramp to launch....Thanks againGOOD FISHING GUY:B

16. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

There's a great baitshop right at the end of 305. To get to the ramp, take Hartford rd to Rt 846N. Go one mile and west lake rd is on the right. There's a sign there so you wont miss it. Follow this rd till it T's. You'll go across a set of active railroad tracks before you get there. Turn rt and 1/4 mile up you'll see the Recreational area/ campground and launch. PM me when you plan on coming and i'll give you my cell number to help you get there.

17. Ok chaunc will have to play it on a day to day basis...This weather is in the unpredictable stage right now...Thanks for the info...I'll be in touch...GOOD FISHING GUY:B

18. What have you been using to catch them.

I am strictly a jig man, and just wondered what colors, and size you had been successful with recently, any plastic involved and are you tipping them with anything. I'm planning on heading out to my favorite crappie holes later this week.

Thanks

19. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I'm using microspoons tipped with minnows, slow trolled over deep stumps. And I'm also jigging with 1/8 oz head and plastics tipped with a nibble. I start with chartreuse and keep changing til i find the one they'll hit consistently. You can see the spoons at www.microspoons.com. They are a sponsor here too. 1/32 oz rattle spoons work for me. Get your favorite jig colors that you use. These spoons work great this time of year for me.

20. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Still slammin em.:) Jig and nibble was the ticket today.
    [​IMG]