close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fast action rod

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ohiou_98, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Last night I bought a 6'6" Lite action St. Croix spinning rod. The rod also states that it is "fast action", what does this mean?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

3. Only the top third of your rod will bend.

slow action = the whole rod bending.

4. Hey Rick, I checked out the link. After reading the info. it seems like I can get a harder hookset on a slow action rod, and lighter set on fast. I bought the rod for small bass (3 lbs. or less), crappie, and other sunfish. But, I always like for my equipment to be adequate if a large bass comes along. It sounds as if the bass is too big, or in vegetation/lilly pads, I might have a hard time getting solid hooksets on this fast rod. What do you think?

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

actually that is not enough rod for those conditions.a m/heavy or heavy rod with a fast tip is best.the fast tip gives you a better feel for what's going on at the business end of your line.
    the action vs. power aspects of a rod can get confusing with the way many are labled.your rod is fine for other applications,but for bigger fish and/or fishing cover,it's not the tip that's wrong,but the overall power.