Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Just me baby, just me.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish from a bass boat a lot, I can see fine out past 3 feet, but I can't see well to tie a knot. So i do not need (and they would make it harder to see) glasses when running, but I DO when I am tying knots etc... I use Typhoons and Costats (depends on the day) for running and fishing, but when I go to tie a knot, I need my glasses fast. I have had them on a chord and scratched them up, lost them..
kept them in a pocket and they fall out and get scratched again... what do you do if you have a similar issue?

·
Just me baby, just me.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep a pair of reading glasses that I bought at Walmart to 2 power works pretty good for me. Can buy three pair at a time, not too expensive and just keep them around the boat.
Well, I have prescription glasses, I guess I can try that, but i take mine and leave them in the box... I just never get them out cause i am usually in too much of a hurry. I really need to keep some on me. I'll maybe look for some cheap readers that might work and i dont care if I drop them...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I fish (& cycle) in Maui Jim polaroid, prescription bi-focals. Expensive but excellent quality. As long as you don't destroy the frames, you can continue to update the prescription. I'm on my 3rd set of lenses.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I am farsighted too. I have prescription glasses also with transition lenses. I bought a pair of Cocoon sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses so I never have to remove them. You can check them out online. Good polarized glasses and they have the side visors too.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I also have prescription reading glasses as my eyes require different lenses at that distance.

What you can do is buy two over the counter cheap glasses. One that works for each eye, then swap lenses to you have one complete pair. That works for things like trying knots on the boat. That or buy the cheap over the counter lenses that match your dominate eye and close the other one while trying the knot.

Both options keep your good reading glasses off the boat.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Just me baby, just me.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am farsighted too. I have prescription glasses also with transition lenses. I bought a pair of Cocoon sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses so I never have to remove them. You can check them out online. Good polarized glasses and they have the side visors too.
I can't see squat out past 3 feet with my prescription glasses on, so I can't keep em on. thanks though.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Like you, I began needing lenses for reading & other close work, only. Wore regular polaroids in the boat but it was a nuisance to switch to reading glasses in order to tie knots, or more urgently, to work hooked fish. This went on for a couple years.

Then, at an eye appointment, the doctor casually offered that I might use a very slight distance correction: Was I interested in bifocals? What the heck, sure.

Very first thing I noticed was I could watch a movie in a theater & my eyes didn't get tired. My glasses were always on my face whenever I needed them. Went to Cocoons in the boat, but as a musky guy, who's always looking down @ boatside, I felt as if the Cocoons were going to suddenly go & take my bifocals w/them.

Next eye appointment, I got the Mauis & have never looked back. Comfortable snug fit, excellent coverage, do it all. Put 'em on in the AM & don't take 'em off until dark. Best pair of glasses I've ever had....except some banks won't let me inside while wearing them. :D

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Bifocals... happens when age hits you. My Wiley X are bifocals as well as every pair of glasses I own. They are progressive or no line. Does take a while to get use to them.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I can't see squat out past 3 feet with my prescription glasses on, so I can't keep em on. thanks though.
You should consider getting progressive lenses. No bifocal line. And if you get the transition lens too they turn to sunglasses whenever you go outside. The glasses I have on I my avatar picture are my regular prescription glasses.

·
2,388 Posts
Multi focal contact lenses! I can see distance just fine but needed cheaters for up close to see fish finder, tie knot, etc. royal pain especially with spray or rain. Went with multi focal contacts. Magic! Not perfect but I can still see distance & now I can see up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
readers dot com... sometimes great deals with 30 or 40% off and 2 day shipping from Indiana... signup for their emails... you can get any magnification in a pair of sunglasses for those sunny water days

·
Just me baby, just me.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up a pair of aviation glasses that are bi focal , just some cheaters to use fishing, keep good ones at home..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol Love it. thats exactly what we are dealing with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts