Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 11th. I picked up my grandson at 09:00 for a bluegill fishing trip to a farm pond. We got ready to fish around 10:30, my grandson caught 2 bluegills even before I was able to get my lines in the water. He was using red worms I decided to use the wax worms I had from the other day. He then tried to catch some bass with live creek chubs, while, I stayed with, fishing for the bluegills.

I did have a dead line rig on up my catfish rod, with chicken liver for bait. I was getting bluegill action, even caught a few nice ones for a change. I did miss several bites to the closed face reel as having problems picking up the line. The bluegills were very active for about 30 minutes then just stopped biting! Then about an hour later they turned on feeding again. That was the way it went all the time we were there.

At 13:30 my grandson was up 13 bluegills to my 11. 14:00 I had 16, he had 15 so I felt like I might beat him this trip. At 15:3 we called it a day, he came back with a total of 19 I had 18. We caught several hand size bluegills this time. The worms were the bait for that place. Nothing hit the creek chubs or any of the different baits I used on the catfish rod. Not sure there are any catfish in that pond for I never even got a tap two times I have tried for cats at that pond.

My grandson got two 8 inch bluegills and the big one of the day a 9.5 inch slab size bluegill. The weather was perfect al day sunny slight breeze temps in the mid 70’s. We gave 11 nice bluegills to the farmer barn cats to have some good eating for some time. So it was a win-win for all concerned.

My grandson and I will look forward to having some great action with more worms on our future trip to that spot.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,372 Posts
On the topic of grandkids, my 1st time watching my grand daughter a couple years ago, I guess she was 9yrs old. So I took her over to my after work pond, a county lake called Mitchell memorial park. As she sat on the blacktop path I set her up with a small hook, bobber and wax worm after about 20mins her bobber went down and I coached her to reel the bluegill in, she stood up and I noticed she peed her pants she was so excited, lol the clean up in the bathroom was above and beyond what a grandpa should have to do....

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts