Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Semper Fi
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to a friends farm pond today to do some largemouth fishing with a few buddies. Ended up with 10 total. All were caught on XPS Lazer Eye lures. Smallest was 2# biggest was 5#. Had a lot of fun reelin in them big boys. Snagged a little water snake as well, thats a first for me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Nice fish! I've been getting some hawgs at my pond. Got one at 8 8oz. a few weeks ago! I love farm pond fishing and those are some nice fish! Who knows. A State Record may come from a Farm Pond. Ya just never know

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Did those bass have a strange yellow/orange hint to them? They look different than most LM's I see. Maybe it's just the lighting, but they kind of look like the same color as carp. Makes me wonder if there's some funny business going on down below the water :Banane41:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Did those bass have a strange yellow/orange hint to them? They look different than most LM's I see. Maybe it's just the lighting, but they kind of look like the same color as carp. Makes me wonder if there's some funny business going on down below the water :Banane41:
In my ponds sometimes when the water is chocolate milk colored or just really murky. They turn very dull in color. I've caught them when they're white before. Once it clears out they generally get a darker more traditional color to them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've read something about that before. It has to do with the melanin in their skin/scales, just like ours. If they're in water where they're not getting much light penetration...from dirty water or being deep...they'll be pale. If they're in clear water with lots of sun, they're usually dark.

Or i could have totally made that up. lol

In any case: I have noticed fish who are orange-ish like that tend to puke up crawfish in my livewells. Anymore, as soon as i catch a fish that's orange on the fins or lips, i go to a crawfish type bait...and usually get bit better.

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
In any case: I have noticed fish who are orange-ish like that tend to puke up crawfish in my livewells. Anymore, as soon as i catch a fish that's orange on the fins or lips, i go to a crawfish type bait...and usually get bit better.
interesting.. I have noticed fish yakking up worms/leaches before that were the same color as the jig I was using but I didn't think of any correlation between the fish's color to what they were eating at a given time

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
They did have an orange-ish tint to them, and the bigger ones were pale skinned for some reason. May,be from their diet?

I'm almost postitive its water color. On Erie the Walleye will go from bright colors to dull colors when the water turns murky. And in my ponds. The one has really clear water and the fish are very colorful. In the back pond where the lunkers are its brown almost every trip overthere and the fish colors are dull.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
the pond I fished today was murky as well. I wonder what causes such a change in color with the fish

I'm almost postitive its water color. The fish in Erie turn very dull in color when the water is brown and brighten up when its clear. Same in my ponds as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have kept different types of fish in aquariums for years and you can change thier food and they will change color. Not much, but it is noticeable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts