Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've ever targeted Smallies on the big water this year and I'm struggling to get more than 1-2 a trip.

Anyone have any tips for a C&R Bronzeback lover? Can't seem to find em. I launch out of East Harbor in a 19ft bass boat for those that want that particular bit of information.

As always, appreciate any and all help you can give!

Dub

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try throwing a dropshot on breaks, anywhere from 12 to 25 ft. I usually head to the islands from east harbor and do pretty well. I am by no means an expert, but I usually get to double digits. I usually fish alone so if you would like company one day PM me. I might be able to meet you up there. I fish a 17' nitro so it also has to be weather permitting.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'm going up Sunday w/my cousin who recently placed in the bassmasters up there(2wks ago as a co angler).I'll post any/all info I can when I get back.Don't think we're running to Canadian waters which was originally the plan.Kinda still up in the air as to where we're going.Gonna be Kelleys or west(Bass islands or maybe even camp Perry area).I do know algae bloom is pretty bad and last tourney(top 10 guys) most were fishing shallow.23lb bag in 4-6 FOW.Cranks,rattletraps seem to be hot right now.And of course when you find them on some structure you can slow down and tube/dropshot them.Again if/when we get on them i'll reply again or PM you.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would appreciate that, i'll actually be there on Sunday as well. Maybe we can try and use each other for information. Im gonna go try up near the Bass Islands probably as far up as Put N bay.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going up Sunday w/my cousin who recently placed in the bassmasters up there(2wks ago as a co angler).I'll post any/all info I can when I get back.Don't think we're running to Canadian waters which was originally the plan.Kinda still up in the air as to where we're going.Gonna be Kelleys or west(Bass islands or maybe even camp Perry area).I do know algae bloom is pretty bad and last tourney(top 10 guys) most were fishing shallow.23lb bag in 4-6 FOW.Cranks,rattletraps seem to be hot right now.And of course when you find them on some structure you can slow down and tube/dropshot them.Again if/when we get on them i'll reply again or PM you.

I'm going after smallies this coming Thur, Fri and Sat.; Did either of you have any luck with the smallie's this weekend?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sorry I can't be much help.We never got on a shallower bite.We caught only 9 smallies between 2 1/2-6lbs drop shorting our deeper rock waypoints in 19-22 FOW.Only advice I can give is to use darker or brighter colors as the algae bloom has the visibility terrible for there.They SHOULD be up shallower and could be or move up anytime.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We got into a few decent ones around Kelly's Island but much like Cajun we didn't get into a shallow bite. We didn't hit any reefs but just worked isolated rock edges next to changes in elevation. Most fish came off the same Waypoint we found using SI. 15-17ft.

I'm still new to this so a 10 fish day is great for me and that's about what we had. All on Drop Shots or Tubes. Good luck!

Cajun maybe we can share some Waypoints at some point see if we can't get on them better.

Dub

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Can't tell you exact color name but a shad shape worm pretty much black w/glitter.Seems like the name is smoke something or something smoke but it's more black than smoke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts