Ohio Game Fishing banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I report the good and the bad, went out last night for 6 hours and did not get a single bump. Tried 7 spots with varying tactics. Thought for sure I would pull a few in but some nights go like that. That wind was bitter cold and has convinced me to finally replace my old, worn out jersey gloves I like to use for cold weather fishing. Hoping to get back at it one night this weekend.
Same! Ran into Troy all over the place so I know I was in the right places🤣

·
Registered
498 Posts
Skunked at alum last night 11/20. Had 1 strike while tuning bait with fast rise. I had just add weight and was at a fairly slow sink, so I left it be and no other action.
Noob perspective here, but slow sink means I’m changing lures. Sinking jerkbaits never catch for me, this time of year I’m going perfect suspension to max 3-4 inches per second rising. That water is cold!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Noob perspective here, but slow sink means I’m changing lures. Sinking jerkbaits never catch for me, this time of year I’m going perfect suspension to max 3-4 inches per second rising. That water is cold!
Ya I was shooting for suspended and when tuning had a hit. I add sticky lead give it a couple casts see how it sits and adjust. If you have one that sinks change hooks to take off weight

·
cheeryo
1,050 Posts
Well the saugeye made a sucker out of me today 🤣 Threw swimbaits and jerks. Stuck to only one location but dissected every possible seam and still nothing. Probably should have moved around more. Only fish I managed to catch was a hog of a spotted sucker on a jigging spoon.

View attachment 499297
musky bait.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ya I was shooting for suspended and when tuning had a hit. I add sticky lead give it a couple casts see how it sits and adjust. If you have one that sinks change hooks to take off weight
Good advice on the switching out hooks, and if it sticks a little longer than you like don't be afraid the clip one of the hooks I mean ya got 3 per treble so clip 1 you will be surprised bout that little difference

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well the saugeye made a sucker out of me today 🤣 Threw swimbaits and jerks. Stuck to only one location but dissected every possible seam and still nothing. Probably should have moved around more. Only fish I managed to catch was a hog of a spotted sucker on a jigging spoon.

View attachment 499297
I feel your pain snookhunter, will you were 2nd guessing the basically putting up a tree stand I was hopping around thinking I should of stayed at my 2nd stop were I got my only fish (5 hours hopping) sooo.. .

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tonight was definitely better than last trip but nothing crazy. 1st spot nothing on to another. 2nd spot 4 or 5 misses before I could connect and once I dialed them in they want nothing to do with a pause tonight. Their choice was super slow steady wobble if I varied much in speed couldn't get a bite and first fish in a while for me over 20".
Food Seafood Fish Cuisine Dish

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
i toone my stick bait home in bucket,order defrent size rings,defrent size hooks i prefer VMC inline hooks 1/0,2/0,3/0,4/0,5/0 and order defrent size and make dual snap's,get scale in grams from harbor freight for $15.on the water i cast longest cast bring that in,the loore has proper temperature from water,now i check for suspending,by the water the easiest adjustment is to ad proper size dual snap.the dual snap work like ratel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jeez us happy talk about highly tactical n technical it's like your a freaking sniper shining your own reloaded bullets n naming them. I was among the the 1st to spearhead this central ohio night saugeye stuff and never could've imagined it would come to what we have available n guys like you adding to the spice rack it's good stuff man

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 499297
With the River being this low and clear they're feeding almost exclusively after dark right now. Try then.

·
Registered
508 Posts
With the River being this low and clear they're feeding almost exclusively after dark right now. Try then.
Oh ya I forgot to mention that I caught that sucker out of a deep central Ohio lakes. I was shocked to catch a spotted sucker out there. I had no idea they were in there 😂 I have been meaning to make down to fish the rivers for saugeye. This time of year after a decent rain in certain spots you can catch a ridiculous amount of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh ya I forgot to mention that I caught that sucker out of a deep central Ohio lakes. I was shocked to catch a spotted sucker out there. I had no idea they were in there 😂 I have been meaning to make down to fish the rivers for saugeye. This time of year after a decent rain in certain spots you can catch a ridiculous amount of them.

I would have been surprised with the spotted sucker out of a deep lake, too!

In regards to those river eyes, they’re still feeding, even without the rain, trust me.

Take your headlamp out below any one of the lowheads on the Scioto/Olentangy right now after dark, you should spot them in numbers, even if there’s just a trickle of flow…

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would have been surprised with the spotted sucker out of a deep lake, too!

In regards to those river eyes, they’re still feeding, even without the rain, trust me.

Take your headlamp out below any one of the lowheads on the Scioto/Olentangy right now after dark, you should spot them in numbers, even if there’s just a trickle of flow…

I'll have to make it down to one of lowhead dams a few times before Christmas. Was busy this week chasing crappie and steelhead (both trips were pretty successful). I haven't fished for late season river saugeye since November last year. It's something I should do more of since fishing for saugeye at Alum and Hoover has been frustrating this year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Went out yesterday for operation “restock saugeye rations” after this past weeks family fish feast. Was going to head over to buckeye but changed my mind a few minutes into the drive and started making my way towards Indian as I had not been there in a while. Got settled in a proven spot from early fall in preparation for the dusk bite, and struck out. Started my way around the lake working several areas with no luck, spending roughly 30 minutes at each spot. After 4 stops, 0 fish and frustration starting to build, I had to check myself and ask the question “am I truly fishing, taking the time to fully dissect the area or am I just hoping to get lucky with what worked on past nights and have a fish jump on my line”. Which is exactly what I was doing, trying to relive the glory of nights past rather than put in the work. By this time it was that “lull” about and hour after dusk and before the night bite pick ups, which whoever knows when that starts each night. I decided to eat my peanut butter samich, drink a cup of coffee, break out the big winter coat and prep for a long night. I decided to head back to my first spot, even though the wind was changing, it was still getting enough to keep the water moving. Started out throwing jerks, varied between husky and rouges, trying different variations of suspenders and floaters, finally got one on a slow floating husky, dead sticking with a few twitch’s in the wind. Did not even feel the bite just saw my line shoot off. For about an hour after that , I was alternating between The husky jerk and a 3.25 Joshy, working 3 different areas of the spot and did not get any more customers. When I was throwing the 3.25 Joshy I had it paired with a 1/8oz jig. I did notice something when retrieving it, I felt with the larger plastic, I did not have a heavy enough weight to get the right action with the wind/current. Tough to explain but as I was retrieving it, slow rolled it just did not feel right, almost like more plastic made it more buoyant and was not staying in the lower half of the column. I eventually said, something is not right and switched to the 2.75, same color and 1/8oz jig. First cast I could immediately feel the difference as the bait felt more compact and was staying lower, about half way through the retrieve, I felt the distinct thump and nailed a keeper, and it was totally inhaled. Two cast later, I picked up another one, at that point I started to think I was onto something. Till 1am I was consistently putting fish on the bank, probably ended the night with 20 or so fish, I would say 50/50 on keeper vs non keeper size. They did come in waves though where you would catch a slew of shorts then 2 keepers. Largest fish of the night was only 18” but was packed with bait fish and eggs. The lesson for tonight, and I suppose it’s nothing new I learned but again reinforced, SLOW down this time of year, work your area thoroughly with multiple tactics, if it’s looks like fish would be holding, they probably are. Ecspecially at Indian, these fish get so much pressure, the amount of Jerks and Joshy these fish see in a days time I bet is unreal. I watch guys rip and run from spot to spot and probably make 5 cast then they move on to the next one. Maybe that works for some but not for me in the cold weather.
Food Fish Seafood Fish products Fin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I caught this a week and a half ago .. give or take a day or so.. Was looking for smallmouth, in a place where I catch a lot of small saugeye. I put on a new 4" boot tail minnow with a rattler in it's tail. I managed to hook this monster and I didn't get that monster smallie I was hunting but I definitely got a surprise saugeye. :) 20.5 inches and 4.65 lbs.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts