Ohio Game Fishing banner
121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
My son and I went to Alum last night.1 LMB was all the action we had. I have been noticing I'm not seeing much for baitfish anybody else notice this or just my timing
You just have to move around till you find the bait. Make sure you are fishing the wind blown banks. I’ve never seen so much shad at Alum as I have this fall. And don’t forget that saugeye will typically feed in short windows.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got off work early yesterday and with the wife being out, I quickly seized the opportunity for her not to stop me, packed up the truck and went out. Got to the lake about 3:30pm, overcast with almost no wind, for the most part had the lake to myself. Thought I could pick up 1 or 2 before the evening but did not get a single hit. That all changed though about 530pm when the wind picked up, all the baby saugeye came out and I was catching a sub 15” about every 5th cast. They first started off hitting vibes, short aggressive rips, keeping the bait very close to the bottom. Normally the long pulls, almost bringing the bait to the surface before letting it fall normally works for me but glad I tried something else. After not catching any keeper size fish I decided to move, which is always a gamble for me to leave active fish, but I decided to forge forward. Next two stops had 3- 4 people already at them and my personal preference is to not fish in a crowd so I did not stick around. Next area required a bit of walking to get to but I knew I would have it to myself. The area was getting hammered by the wind so I tied on a 3/8oz jig with a 3.25 Joshua and nailed a keeper first cast! Like many of us think when this happens, “ Oh it’s on” but after that first fish, nothing else on the swim, tried down sizing and working higher in the column, varying retrieve, etc. Switched back to try the vibe game, only thing to show for it was a few lost vibes 🥲. At this moment, I had somewhat of a debate with myself, arguing how there is no way that with all these “textbook saugeye conditions”, that there is only just one fish here. So I switched it up again and started throwing stick baits, based off an earlier report I read this week, I started off with with a floater, working pretty steady with short pauses, didn’t get any hits. Switched to my best tuned suspender and gave it a long cast with 3 drives down, then just let it sit and the wind starting bringing it in. Once it was within about 5 foot of the bank, I felt a very familiar “bump” and the line was no longer slack, I gave it the ol 1,2 and hooks were set, let the thrashing begin! Was only a 16”er and was able to hoist him onto the rocks before he thought about coming unhooked. Those banks hits do not allow for much room for error and I usually like to have my drag a bit looser to add a bit of a buffer. That fish though told me what I needed to know, I caught eight 15”+ and four sub 15” fish in the next 90 minutes. No monsters were caught, largest were two 18” females who clearly have been eating well. Out of those fish all but two came within 5’ of the bank. The females both came literally right at my feet. Even though they were hitting at the bank, I do believe all fish were way out there and slowly followed the bait in and would not commit until the last minute, as short cast did not produce fish. This trip was successful for many reason for me personally. In years past I have struggled with confidence in the jerk bait this time of year, especially when it came down to this much attention to detail. I was always battling myself on whether a suspender or floater truly mattered or having the patience to dead stick a bait and not feel like I was “wasting time”. Well after this trip, I finally feel like I have “arrived” and was able pin point specific variables that produced different results. Sorry for the long read, I just want to share how persistence and attention to detail can really make or break a night for these fickle, toothy goblins we all love chasing. Hope you guys had a good night!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Got off work early yesterday and with the wife being out, I quickly seized the opportunity for her not to stop me, packed up the truck and went out. Got to the lake about 3:30pm, overcast with almost no wind, for the most part had the lake to myself. Thought I could pick up 1 or 2 before the evening but did not get a single hit. That all changed though about 530pm when the wind picked up, all the baby saugeye came out and I was catching a sub 15” about every 5th cast. They first started off hitting vibes, short aggressive rips, keeping the bait very close to the bottom. Normally the long pulls, almost bringing the bait to the surface before letting it fall normally works for me but glad I tried something else. After not catching any keeper size fish I decided to move, which is always a gamble for me to leave active fish, but I decided to forge forward. Next two stops had 3- 4 people already at them and my personal preference is to not fish in a crowd so I did not stick around. Next area required a bit of walking to get to but I knew I would have it to myself. The area was getting hammered by the wind so I tied on a 3/8oz jig with a 3.25 Joshua and nailed a keeper first cast! Like many of us think when this happens, “ Oh it’s on” but after that first fish, nothing else on the swim, tried down sizing and working higher in the column, varying retrieve, etc. Switched back to try the vibe game, only thing to show for it was a few lost vibes 🥲. At this moment, I had somewhat of a debate with myself, arguing how there is no way that with all these “textbook saugeye conditions”, that there is only just one fish here. So I switched it up again and started throwing stick baits, based off an earlier report I read this week, I started off with with a floater, working pretty steady with short pauses, didn’t get any hits. Switched to my best tuned suspender and gave it a long cast with 3 drives down, then just let it sit and the wind starting bringing it in. Once it was within about 5 foot of the bank, I felt a very familiar “bump” and the line was no longer slack, I gave it the ol 1,2 and hooks were set, let the thrashing begin! Was only a 16”er and was able to hoist him onto the rocks before he thought about coming unhooked. Those banks hits do not allow for much room for error and I usually like to have my drag a bit looser to add a bit of a buffer. That fish though told me what I needed to know, I caught eight 15”+ and four sub 15” fish in the next 90 minutes. No monsters were caught, largest were two 18” females who clearly have been eating well. Out of those fish all but two came within 5’ of the bank. The females both came literally right at my feet. Even though they were hitting at the bank, I do believe all fish were way out there and slowly followed the bait in and would not commit until the last minute, as short cast did not produce fish. This trip was successful for many reason for me personally. In years past I have struggled with confidence in the jerk bait this time of year, especially when it came down to this much attention to detail. I was always battling myself on whether a suspender or floater truly mattered or having the patience to dead stick a bait and not feel like I was “wasting time”. Well after this trip, I finally feel like I have “arrived” and was able pin point specific variables that produced different results. Sorry for the long read, I just want to share how persistence and attention to detail can really make or break a night for these fickle, toothy goblins we all love chasing. Hope you guys had a good night!
I love it when folks get “jazzed” about fishing… Whenever I spend the evening in my garaged boat getting tackle ready for the next morning I often have trouble getting to sleep thinking of different tactics for the trip. After the trip I’m usually thinking about what I could have done differently, even if it was a great day.
I love fishing!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Monday, 14Nov22. Nice day with a slight breeze. It's been too windy to take the canoe out lately, and the forecast shows the wind will be back for at least the next week. Got the canoe loaded on top of the truck. trolling motor, battery, fishing gear loaded up. Got the floatation/exposure suit, 7mm neoprene dive boots, and waterproof gloves ready to go. Drinks, a few snacks, and a cooler of ice ready. Time to go search for the saugeye or whatever else may happen to be enticed by my lures 🙂 Oh no, migraine setting in :(
Now I sit here bummed. Still need to unload the truck. No idea when the weather will cooperate again, but know it will. Hope your day is going better than mine. Tight lines.

Update: DW just called and said she's on the way home and stopping at Arbys, did I want anything? Now I've got some buffalo chicken sliders on the way...things are looking up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
anyone headed out today or this weekend? Im going to try to get out tonight or tomorrow. Be safe if you're fishing rocks guys!
Wear some orange this weekend! Deer Gun Youth! It’s the old “If it’s brown, it’s down.” adage to look out for!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good call out man! Most of the places I fish are not close to hunting grounds from shore. I remember one time fishing a local lake and I had someone draw on me while I was walking to a hole in the River. The side I was on was public across the stream was Private. I didnt have Orange on and didnt know it was gun season. On there behalf, they only had an orange hat on. Be safe everyone!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I report the good and the bad, went out last night for 6 hours and did not get a single bump. Tried 7 spots with varying tactics. Thought for sure I would pull a few in but some nights go like that. That wind was bitter cold and has convinced me to finally replace my old, worn out jersey gloves I like to use for cold weather fishing. Hoping to get back at it one night this weekend.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts