Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Its fishing, not catching
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it’s still September and I know the weather has only been cooled down for a few days now. But I wanted to start a thread for what every Saugeye guy lives for, the fall bite. Where the bite gets good and magic can happen in order to land a true a monster.

I fished Alum the four days ago and the bite was tough did manage a few nice keepers but really had to work for them.

Also hit Indian yesterday and did really well once I found the fish.

Feel free to post here how your outings went. It can be as simple as water temps at a certain lake/river. It has been really quite on this site for sometime. And I figured instead of sitting back and watching it I would try and invite some fresh life back into the Central Ohio Thread.
Hood Bumper Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Wood Art Plant Fish Tail

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
2,031 Posts
I know it’s still September and I know the weather has only been cooled down for a few days now. But I wanted to start a thread for what every Saugeye guy lives for, the fall bite. Where the bite gets good and magic can happen in order to land a true a monster.

I fished Alum the four days ago and the bite was tough did manage a few nice keepers but really had to work for them.

Also hit Indian yesterday and did really well once I found the fish.

Feel free to post here how your outings went. It can be as simple as water temps at a certain lake/river. It has been really quite on this site for sometime. And I figured instead of sitting back and watching it I would try and invite some fresh life back into the Central Ohio Thread. View attachment 495655 View attachment 495664
Nice slab in there too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know they do at Alum and I can't imagine they don't at Hoover. I went after the saugeye at Alum from the bank a few times last fall/early winter with (very) limited success. That's not to say someone with the knowledge, technique, and baits would have limited success. Quite the contrary, I witnessed some really nice ones taken from the bank. Just not by me :confused:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hit some last night late at Alum from shore. Weather and winds have reaked havoc on the lake for 4 or 5 days.
Lake is changing and fish are adjusting.
Ones I got last night were not on the top of flats or points but suspended around 8 to 10 feet off the edges in deeper water.
They hit a 3.25 big joshy swimbait on 1/8 oz jig. Counted it down to 8 and slow steady reeled it back. Solid hits they know its close to time to turn on the feedbag.2 hits in jerkbait a #13 chrome and black orange belly tuned with alittle lead wrapped on middle shank to slow the rise of bait.

Cast if out pulled it down and pretty much a slow steady reel with a quick pause and twitch of rod then steady reel.

They are waking up water temps keep dropping bite will keep getting better. Tight lines

·
Registered
78 Posts
Took the boat up to Indian yesterday to start my pursuit of this years the “fall-eyes” and was able to land some quality fish, several shorts on the outing but was a great trip! Kept four fish total for tonight’s dinner. Largest fish was just over 21”, the biggest I have caught at Indian lake in several years. Picked her up throwing a crank bait and she absolutely inhaled it, to the point the treble hooks got caught in her gills and had to break out the long pliers to get it out. All the fish came from “open water” and all day had to battle the wind trying to stay put in my “decked out” 1436 Jon boat. I will be doing some more night time adventures this year than years past and will report back with results!

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Took the boat up to Indian yesterday to start my pursuit of this years the “fall-eyes” and was able to land some quality fish, several shorts on the outing but was a great trip! Kept four fish total for tonight’s dinner. Largest fish was just over 21”, the biggest I have caught at Indian lake in several years. Picked her up throwing a crank bait and she absolutely inhaled it, to the point the treble hooks got caught in her gills and had to break out the long pliers to get it out. All the fish came from “open water” and all day had to battle the wind trying to stay put in my “decked out” 1436 Jon boat. I will be doing some more night time adventures this year than years past and will report back with results!
Looks like you should enter the indian saugeye slam😉

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great thread. I did some night-fishing at Alum last weekend. That's my first time ever fishing there. I fished the upper end. Stupid me, I had no idea there was so much grass in the lake. I didn't adapt very well. I managed one small saugeye trolling cranks then wound up switching over to crappie because I "accidentally" caught a couple tanks. Wound up catching a half dozen dandies and a handful more smaller crappie over the next couple hours.

Up in NW Ohio where I live, my best saugeye bite last fall was pretty simple: trolling crankbaits along riprap banks in up-ground reservoirs in spots where I found the most baitfish. I'll probably do a lot more of that this fall too, since I love pulling cranks, but I'm really looking forward to doing some more exploring at Buckeye and Alum before winter.

Just got a new boat too. Can't wait to get some saugeye slime on it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Great thread. I did some night-fishing at Alum last weekend. That's my first time ever fishing there. I fished the upper end. Stupid me, I had no idea there was so much grass in the lake. I didn't adapt very well. I managed one small saugeye trolling cranks then wound up switching over to crappie because I "accidentally" caught a couple tanks. Wound up catching a half dozen dandies and a handful more smaller crappie over the next couple hours.

Up in NW Ohio where I live, my best saugeye bite last fall was pretty simple: trolling crankbaits along riprap banks in up-ground reservoirs in spots where I found the most baitfish. I'll probably do a lot more of that this fall too, since I love pulling cranks, but I'm really looking forward to doing some more exploring at Buckeye and Alum before winter.

Just got a new boat too. Can't wait to get some saugeye slime on it.
Imo concentrate on the south and middle pools of Alum for the fall bite. Lots of shallow points and flats without weeds there. Plenty of saugeye to be caught in the north pole but better success rates south I believe. The tops of weeds will start dying soon and shallow stick baits and running swim baits over the tops of weeds will produce. Good luck, you’ll love Alum one day and hate it the next.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I fished Alum today (south pool), didn't get anything, I was very windy and I was targeting the coves. What is everyone catching them on?
Minnows
Fished Buckeye Today and was skunked. Someone else caught a mess of them. So my theory is that saugeye are not in the main lake.
i saw Doug got a bunch with his famous “jigging method” he would of been on main lake. Typically they are main lake early and move back further as water gets colder in my experience. From what I’ve seen buckeye is about 2-3 degrees warmer than Indian, which at this temp can make all the difference.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts