Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been seeing some posts here on salmon fishing in Ontario and it's got me set on hooking up with a king for the first time!! I'm a seasoned steelhead fisherman but have never caught a salmon. I've been researching a little and see that the run starts in september usually in through october. I was looking at the Oak Orchard river and the Olcott River. I would like to fish them with spinning tackle from shore/wading (is this possible? or do you need a boat?) Not sure which river produces better but I'd also like to find a place to camp while I'm there and just make a long weekend of it. Any info, techniques, advice is much appreciated! Shoot me a PM if you would rather not post. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
better off in a boat the rivers up there are swift and deep ...it has been some years since i been up there.. always had a good time with my dad ....

·
Gold Member
213 Posts
Both places are good choices. People line the pier heads starting the first week Sept thru Oct. Locals and "others" use the pop bottle technique that is virtually legal snagging. In Olcott it heats up at the dam for the wader crowd but it gets hectic there when the bite is on. Campground in Olcott is called the Harbor Resort. True anglers cast little cleo spoons or wiggle warts among other things.

Good Fishing,
Capt. Tony

·
Gold Member
213 Posts
So called anglers line the wall at the mouth of 18 Mile Creek and cast a a 1 once sinker with a treble 6-8 inches in front of it with a piece of yarn or egg sack on it. They put the spinning rod in free spool with a glass beer bottle or pop bottle against the line. When a mature king cruises in the river it has it's mouth open and the line starts pulling causing the bottle to fall on the concrete pier and alerting the non fisherman to set the hook (snag) the fish as it crosses the line. Since snagging has been made illegal for the last twenty years this is the creative alternative. Many a fall derby has been won by this tactic. Guess you know my opinion, but I guess it gives non boaters a chance to pull a big king. Much cooler to zap a Little Cleo with a flash and cast and retrieve, but then again worm draggers thinks us trollers are walleye cheaters too.

Good Fishing,
Capt. Tony

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I guess Olcott is going to be the place I'm going. I'm no snagger, no fun or honor in it what so ever. I'll catch one nice king in the mouth fishing the honost way over catching 8 snagging. And Tony: trolling is definitely not cheating. You really need to do your homework and master it just like any other method in my opinion (i'm sure you agree) Does the Oak orchard River or the Niagra by Olcott produce more fish or is it pretty even?

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
If you want to fish Olcott you'll be fishing 18 mile up to Burt Dam (google for more info). The river gets lined with people looking for a bite, later in the year you can catch steelies, browns and Salmon, the mature Salmon die off but the other species keep going strong. The Niagara river is enormous and extremely deep but you can fish it from shore, Devils Hole is one popular hole and there is state park access. The only bad part about fishing up there is it's pretty tough to get away from the people based on what I've seen and read. You can catch fish right from the pier in Olcott I was there last year the weekend after labor day fishing from my boat and guys were hooked up catching fish left and right, at sunset and sunrise. Glow Spoons from Moonshine, Silver Streak, Cleo are the way to go for the pier guys. I had matures scooting away from my boat right in the middle of the creek.

The pic below shows the harbor entrance to 18 mile, in late august and expecially september and october it's jammed with people on both sides, depending on the wind the bite can be better on either side. Sorry don't know to much about Oak Orchard or elswhere I always fish out of 18 mile, know your regs up there that's for sure.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing/viewforum.php?f=9 Go back through the past couple of years in this thread for info, and start looking in September and read through November if you want to catch Kings. You will be able to gleen good info from the threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks K! Man I'm stoked to go! Now when you say it's lined up, is it like the maumee walleye run kind of packed?that little too tight for my liking. Too much line crossing and inconsiderate people. I'm going to keep doing my homework but it can't come soon enough! What kind of water temps should I be looking for to kick off the run? 50's? Thanks man!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Thanks K! Man I'm stoked to go! Now when you say it's lined up, is it like the maumee walleye run kind of packed?that little too tight for my liking. Too much line crossing and inconsiderate people. I'm going to keep doing my homework but it can't come soon enough! What kind of water temps should I be looking for to kick off the run? 50's? Thanks man!
As bad or worse and the fish fight so there will be plenty of tangles and such!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Follow the thread I posted, guys will be posting info as to when fish will start to run. I would go before the peak less fish but less pressure and the fish aren't completely dark still mud sharks but they aren't dead fish swimming.....yet. Labor day is usually when the pier action heats up.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow the thread I posted, guys will be posting info as to when fish will start to run. I would go before the peak less fish but less pressure and the fish aren't completely dark still mud sharks but they aren't dead fish swimming.....yet. Labor day is usually when the pier action heats up.
Are they not as good to eat after getting dark and are "dead fish swimming"? I never keep steelhead, just like the fight but I like salmon steaks so I'd like to bring some back for the smoker.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Are they not as good to eat after getting dark and are "dead fish swimming"? I never keep steelhead, just like the fight but I like salmon steaks so I'd like to bring some back for the smoker.
Not sure, I eat them out of the lake in september. I know guys keep them once they are in the river I have "heard" they meat can get a bit mushy on them big boys late in the season but can't give you a for sure yay or nay. You want accurate river salmon info your asking the wrong guy. Alot of OGF'ers go up there in the fall I suggest posting in the steelhead forum or do a search for Burt Dam you'll find some reading I found a post yesterday while searching google for a picture.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks K and everyone for the info! I'm so pumped, it can't come soon enough! Hope to see some of you guys out there in late september early october!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just to let you know, "fishing" the rivers in Oct. is a TOTAL ZOO up there.
60-70% of the "anglers" are just snagging/lining fish. I would do it once, just to say you did it. The OAK is less of a ZOO, but still pretty bad. The farther you are away from the dam the better. If you fish the dam you better bring 20lb test. Guys will cast right over you when your fighting a fish. You'll see more fish comming in backward than forward.

Matt

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to let you know, "fishing" the rivers in Oct. is a TOTAL ZOO up there.
60-70% of the "anglers" are just snagging/lining fish. I would do it once, just to say you did it. The OAK is less of a ZOO, but still pretty bad. The farther you are away from the dam the better. If you fish the dam you better bring 20lb test. Guys will cast right over you when your fighting a fish. You'll see more fish comming in backward than forward.

Matt
Thanks for the heads up. I found out I'll be fishing from a boat w/ my buddy's uncle most of the time who's been fishing that area for the better of ten years. I'll be there for 3 whole days so if I have to, I'll be heading to more remote locations to try my luck with any staging fish. We'll be fishing the niagara river. Been looking up info on it and man, that's a BIG river! haha. we might go to 18mile to fish the mouth at night too along with other spots. Let the snaggers snag, I'll be happy if I catch a couple the right way. Hard work, a lot of research and a little luck :D

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
The boat is the way to go, you have freedom to fish wherever you want, if you go in september and you'll be with someone who knows the lake and the program well you can catch the mature fish very close port or within a couple miles or even head to mid waters or offshore and beat the snot out of the steelies and 1 and 2 year old fish but that would be my last resort or something to do mid day, king bite is best early and late. I always try and target mature kings but always end up catching other species. You'll have fun nothing like catching kings.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I hear and that's why I'm so pumped to go! We'll be fishing a "smaller boat" boat so fishing the open lake would probably be out of the question but we'll be able to fish the rivers where ever we want. I also read that kings are supposed to be considered one of the best species to eat :D I got to try and not think about it too much or time is going to creep way too slow until we leave to head up there haha

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
I tried fishing the river once and that was enough and helped me decide to charter and then start using my own boat in July. The river run fish are not worth cooking. The flesh is a creamy light brown color and only fit for smoking and not too tastey at that. The early season lake fish are great fighters and tastr is excellent. Watch the Out Of State Forum for more info.

·
Game Fisherman
142 Posts
Hey fellow fishing buddies, what lake are you talking about for the kings and the best time of year to catch them to eat etc. without being shoulder to shoulder with people. Also I don't have a boat yet perhaps next Fathers Day!!!

I'm traveling from South of Columbus route 23 I live in Chillicothe so any suggestion would be recommended.

Sarge

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
fishaholics,

That pier fishing is a blast, Ive been doing that the first week of oct for almost 20 years now. Dont need a boat unless you want to troll for them. And at that time they are right at the pier heads so no need to go out far.

Trolling, j-plugs in army truck, glow ladderback, silver bullet and cut plug should do you just fine. Throw in a green spin doctor and green fly.

Off the pier I just cast, not into the tight-lining system so many use up there but they do catch fish. I use 20# test power-pro with a 10-15# floro leader (mostly 10#) about 6 ft long. Casting mostly spoons. Same as when casting for steelies off the breakwalls, little cleos, k/o wobblers usual colors but the firetiger cleo has been deadly for me up there. 2/5 oz and 3/4 oz cleos, 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz k/o's.

Also alot of the locals up there throw stickbaits. Mostly brighter patterns like the firetiger, or rapalas that are bright orange on top and chart. sides. stuff like that. Biggest thing is dont go up there and overdue your tackle. See alot of newbies come up there with 20-25 lb mono and and a freakin deep sea reel cant figure out why they arent catching anything. To be honest I used to use 10# ande mono for years and did just fine.

Me personally I like olcott better, I seem to catch more fish there and there is a camp ground within walking distance of the pier. Also might want to take some of the smaller 1/3 cleos and 1/4 k/o's as the steelies and browns come in early in the mornings.

And just for fun glow in the dark spoons are a blast sometimes about an hour or hour and a half before daybreak. Just take a camera flash to charge them up and start casting. Have caught many steelies and browns this way and have seen many salmon caught this way But I myself have never caught a salmon this way. Oh and the biggest thing you NEED a BIG extended handle net.

If you have any questions shoot me a message i'll try to tell you anything you want to know. Hope this helped.

Triple-J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts