Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...I know it's a long time away but some buddies and I are thinking of fishing Erie late fall. I've been reading past reports and seeing alot of good action around Kelly's, Vermillion, and Lorain.

Are there any alternatives if the the weather is bad? Can I find protection &/or fish around the breakwalls in Cleveland?

Is it both a day and a night bite?

I'm thinking that we'll be staying at the Plantation - which looks to be very fisherman friendly and is centrally located among the areas mentioned above.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Huron can be a hot area as well, and even west of that, which flows into east of Kelley's. If all the fish were in one area, we'd wipe them out.

If you are prepared to fish day or night, you'll maximize your potential to catch fish, because the wind rarely blows day and night. Day time fishing is mostly in 36' plus, while the night stuff is most often close in (like 16' and shallower). Reefs with 2 ozs ahead of them have ruled the last couple years in the daylight (speed 1.3 - 2 mph), while shollow Rouges, Huskys, Bombers, Renoskys, and other minnow lures back 35' or so do most of the damage at night (speeds from .8 - 1.5).

Potential for big fish is high!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
The last two years we done well on the SE corner of Kellys, the west side of Kellys and west of Green island during the months of November and December. We would also catch some walleye off the west side of the Huron river between the point retreat condos and the Huron dumping grounds but the numbers didn't produce as well as when we were up near Kellys for us. Slow speeds 1.1-1.4 mph and dhj's 22-40 back were great most often. Purple perch and eriedescent seemed to be our best colors. There will be plenty of posts on here as the time gets closer.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Last November and December was hands down some of the best walleye fishing I have ever done. I had 5 trips in a row with quick limits. It was a blast. Deep reef runners and deep husky jerks 35-75' 1.3-1.8 mph.

One day in December I was out with Stedke we did pretty good at f can and just nw of mouse island.

A can and west of south bass was super hot in December. In the later parts of the year, tons of fish begin to pile up in there winter haunts west of the islands and the reef area.

Again some of the best fishn I have ever done. No worms to mess with. Not so many junk fish around either. High fish on cranks. We had some beautiful days too. If you hit it right. 50 degrees and a flat lake. Lots of fog that time of year too. When the air temp are colder than the lake temps, it gets pretty steamy.....limted boat traffic as well. Guys share alot of info on the radio to because tourney season is over.

Had some awsome days out there with Tony always net'n, GR oh ya, shortdrift, big al, and jeepdude64.

Huron was a miss last fall. Seemed like those big September and October blows didn't give fisherman a chance to cut off those fish before they hit the islands.

I'm with Jason the glass purple perch husky was on fire!

IF YOU HAVE AN OUTBOARD DON'T BE IN A HURRY TO WINTERIZE. THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS WAS KILLER!!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies.

I read all the reports last year and was super jealous. I promised to do my best to get out there in 2013.

I'll be traveling from pretty far away, and will need to book a room. I have to put in for vacation way in advance, so will not be able to make a decision based on the weather. I guess I'm in.....just hope the wind isn't blowing too bad!!

I've fished the western basin before - but was April thru Memorial Day. This fall thing will be new, but sounds like something that can be done. The guys on this site are great for getting newbies like me up to speed - so thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
John

Wait til all the fall blows are well over with. Late November/December they should be done.

In September/October the wind machine's switch will be in the on position....

Let them fish get settled in and spank em..

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Dave touched on this but when there's only a few boats on the lake everybody talks to everybody. It's only died in the wool guys out there, and no one is going to act stupid, so the info flows. Ch 79 is where to go.

Last year Huron was a wind blown bust but in years past it's been good. This year who knows, but I'd bet it will be somewhere between Huron and the west side of the firing range. After all nearly all the big fish in the lake are in that area somewhere.

·
Boatless
914 Posts
We did really good in november/december last year between Rattlesnake and Green islands. The walleye were in tight pods and hungery! Once we found a pod of feeding fish it didnt take long to catch our limit. Caught all our fish on reef runners and husky jerks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks all for the replies.

I read all the reports last year and was super jealous. I promised to do my best to get out there in 2013.

I'll be traveling from pretty far away, and will need to book a room. I have to put in for vacation way in advance, so will not be able to make a decision based on the weather. I guess I'm in.....just hope the wind isn't blowing too bad!!

I've fished the western basin before - but was April thru Memorial Day. This fall thing will be new, but sounds like something that can be done. The guys on this site are great for getting newbies like me up to speed - so thanks for all the advice!
John: ditto with us. This will be our first fall trip after many spring trips. Looking forward to getting back on the "big water". We are looking at being out there the Saturday before Thanksgiving and being home for turkey.

dale

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John: ditto with us. This will be our first fall trip after many spring trips. Looking forward to getting back on the "big water". We are looking at being out there the Saturday before Thanksgiving and being home for turkey.

dale
Yep it's gonna be fun for sure.

We plan on being there the whole week. Somehow my wife doesn't mind my son and I missing Thanksgiving. I don't know if I should be happy or worried ha ha.

I guess the only x factor is the weather. I've seen the Cleveland reports and the near shore thing around Huron - so hopefully that can be an option if the wind blows!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't know where you're coming from, but not all the hogs move west before Christmas. There were some monsters caught at night out of Cleveland last year. Same program as mentioned in the other posts, just further east.

·
481 Posts
Until I read this thread I never thought I'd say this. "Bring on old man winter!" I've never fished eye's in the fall, and now that I have a good sence of my rig it'll be game on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.