close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fall mushrooms

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bttmline, Sep 19, 2004.

1. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

hey guys
    does anyone else out here hunt fall mushrooms, hen of the woods, chicken of the woods, puffballs and chanterelles, just wondering. i am going today and ginseng hunting too. the sang berries are red and the shrooms are blooming.
    bttmline

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

thanks for reminding me. My Dad used to take us kids out to hunt for sheepshead mushrooms. Should be a good day to pick. They make great soup.

I think Ill go to "my" tree and see if theres any fruit.

3. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Good luck out there. With all the rain and cooler night time temperatures those shrooms should be out there. I did see a small hen of the woods here in town at the base of a maple tree. Might have to grab it if they don't mow it over.MMMMM!
    Hoover for me this afternoon them saugeyes gotta be moving in shallow.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

5. any of you hunt chantrelle's ?

6. hardwaterfan

I think I found some sheephead mushrooms this morning. Are these the hen of the woods people talk about?

There were more but they were even older than these, which suprised me because I remember looking for them wearing jeans and light jackets when i was a kid, not shorts and a t shirt.

Maybe some fresher ones will pop up later on.

I have never seen so many heads on one tree. There were about 8-10 clumps around this tree but these were the freshest looking ones.

Im gonna have my dad take a look at these for me first. My mom knows how to make a great vegetable soup based on these.

If anyone has any input on these (good or bad), my ears are open.

Attached Files:

7. hardwaterfan

close up of the one on the left

Attached Files:

8. hardwaterfan

close up of the one on the right

(they sure look like different species. but they were growing right next to each other under a really old oak tree. gotta do some sleuthin')

Attached Files:

9. Them's is woogies :) :)....nice find HWF. I found a tree with about 50 lbs. of chicken shrooms (sulphur shelf) on it, good but not as good as woogies (hen-of-the-woods) Par boil 'em and fry 'em in butter or bacon fat...yummy!!!! :)

BTW....clean as much of the grit off as you can,, but a little is OK...a little grit is good for your gizzard ;)

10. hardwaterfan

Cool, thanks. :) I didnt even know i HAD a gizzard.

50 lbs of chicken shrooms, wow!

Once back in the early 90's my Dad had his picture in the PD with a 50-60 lb. sheepshead shroom.

Remember back in the spring I mentioned I found some dead ones around an old oak when looking for morels. Lo and behold they came back as i hoped they would.

Now I have bragging rights on my Dad, he says he's going to check HIS trees! :)

(Good luck Dad.)

11. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

hey hardwater
    good find, the one on the left looks a little strange to me. i got a hen of the woods, a small chicken of the woods, and only a dzn or so of chanterelles. but now i know there up i will be looking a little more harder.
    hey mushroomman, i have never picked hen of the woods off anything but oak. just a word of advice to novice hunters, be sure of what you pick and eat, take an experienced hunter with you till you learn.
    bttmline

12. bttmline..Amen, You guys can never be to sure of what you're eating unless you show it to someone who knows for sure...DON'T GUESS!!!!!!! While The cauliflower mushroom (AKA, hen-of-the-woods and woogie) are unique in appearance, better be safe than sorry.

This mushroom that you guys are talking about here comes up every year on the same trees and is know to come up primarily at the base of RED OAK trees....I've never seen it on any other tree in my life, but I suppose anything is possible

13. Don't pick old uneatable wild shrooms... gezus... :eek:

14. hardwaterfan

bttm, the one on the left is a lot harder than the other one. Maybe its older? The one on the right is nice and soft and is how I remember them smelling and looking and all that.

As a side note......this past summer we had a terrible raunchy smell coming from our mulched flower beds......flies everywhere, smelled like something died.

Lo and behold was a fascinating fungus......STINKHORNS....

I thought they were so wierd and cool but my wife and neighbors thought i was crazy. They hatch from little egg-looking pods which you can squeeze and the fungus pops out and if they grow up they get a red color at the end is this film on them which smells like a cross between poop and fish guts.

15. Ole Ivan did some good in these parts. This past weekend I found at least 15 lbs. off one living red oak. And seen some just starting. We have been shroomin in the fall and spring ever since I could keep up with my grandpa, but I have one question. Is there any easy way to clean sheepshead?

16. Tritonman, the only way I know to clean 'em is to cut the leaves off and use a toothbrush under running water to brush off the dirt, but a little is OK...it's good fer yer gizzard :D :D

17. I'm with Froggy on the cleaning deal...

18. hardwaterfan

Dammmmmm thats good woogie!! I cant beleive it, even my wife really liked it! I didnt even think she'd try it. Then again I didnt show her all the wildlife that was living in there.

"earthy" "wild" "woodsy".... very tasty!

I cut off a couple "branches" and broke the "leaves" up and soaked them in water for a bit, then ran them under the sink and rubbed them. Then pan fried them in olive oil. Didnt really notice any grit at all, must be the location.

Good call bttmline.... :)

Still more questions: How long will this head keep? Its on the back porch in 24 hour shade. Should I put it in the fridge or something? Or should I try to use it right away?

I wonder if a real young head would taste much different. It was the perfect consistency after I fried it.

Attached Files:

19. What I do is "blanch" them by bringing a large pot of water to boil then placing sliced schrooms in then when it comes back to a boil I take out the schrooms and stop the cooking process by pooring cold water over them in a calander (spelling) then they can be froze which I do by placing on a cookie sheet not touching then into zip lock baggies after froze.
    When I want some to cook I simply take out what I need. They are great this way in soup or speg sauce :D