Fall Fishing Best Bets?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Ajax, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I'm looking to get out a little more this fall as the weather cools. I would like to try catching wipers or white bass if they are runnin hot. Are there any on the GMR or LMR? Do you use roostertails for them? Will I need a boat to get to them? I might try shore fishing for crappies as well. Where would be my best bet for those? Cowen?

2. the fall white bass on the gmr are great, roostertail will work fine. there are wipers on both, they are spottier on the lmr because there is less water, oh and in both places you'll need somthing bigger than a roostertail. if you have a boat the ohio is usually rockin in the fall. wait till it cools down in a month or so for these bites

3. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

i know the white bass are hitting right now on the lmr. white curly tail jigs always work. i have had some luck with a rooster tail in the fall and spring. wipers should be hitting once it cools off. good luck!
    i would hit up east fork for crappies if you are close enough.

4. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

how exactly do you fish a curly tail jig? do you bounce it along the bottom? what if they are topfeeding and hitting things along the topwater? do you swim it faster then higher up in the water like a swimbait? every time i have tried them they have been unproductive so maybe i just dont know what im doing when using them.

5. Yanky- The quick answer to your question would be "all of the above". For spring and fall crappie, I usually throw the jig out and count to estimate the depth and then bring it in in with a slow and steady retreive. For saugeye and walleye, you can use a jig tipped with a minnow and drift or bounce it along the bottom. Color is important too. Sometimes I will throw 5 or 6 colors before I find the one that they're biting on. Around here, chartruese, pink, and white are the three main colors for twister tails. Usually, if you can't get a bite on one of those colors, you're going to have to work hard for your fish that day.

6. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I tore the wipers up last year on the Hocking, a mile from the Ohio on labor day weekend....I was fishing crankbaits and 5" swimbaits, at 1 point I caught fish on 7 consecutive casts. When they are running and chasing shad they are easy pickins!

7. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

So to catch these guys my best bet is to be closer to the Ohio River, where the deep water is? I was out at the Lower GMR last week and got skunked. Though the river was down the water turbidity looked awful. Me and the three guys I was with got skunked.

8. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Hybrids are more plentiful closer to OR.

9. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

thanks rossco. those tips should help me be a bit more productive if i use that style jig again.

i do have a big pack of chartreuse but i may invest in a few other colors as well. typically where im at i dont use them since other lures work better for the fish i target, but id like to have them in case, or if i plan to go to different locations. do you find that the color of the jighead matters or do you just use a plain lead jighead? any particular weight that seems to work better than others? i think the ones i have are a tad on the heavier side and are yellow with eyes.