Ohio Game Fishing banner

When do you know when the Fall bite will pick up???

• Water temp (65-58)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Water temp (57-50)

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Time of year (End of Sept. - Mid Oct.)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Time of year (Mid Oct. - Mid Nov.)

Votes: 9 31.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Its fishing, not catching
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see what some of the more seasoned saugeye fishermen think when the Fall bite will pick up for eyes. Is there a certain time (beginning of October?) or a certain water temp (low 60's?) when the bite for eyes will pick up big time. No matter where you fish for eyes (Alum, Indian, Buckeye, Hoover, CJ Brown Scioto dams) there is always that certain time when the bite picks up big time and just wondering when that is. As always thanks in advance!

·
Registered
66 Posts
how do you guys fish for them ? trolling ? do you fish at night or daytime ? Just wondering, I have never fished for them.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
how do you guys fish for them ? trolling ? do you fish at night or daytime ? Just wondering, I have never fished for them.
Right now you can catch them during the day and night. Trolling and Casting. Have heard the day bite is on sporadically, especially when trolling. Nightbite is on too, although it's more of a casting deal. Right now they seem to be feeding in short half-hour bursts, as the water continues to cool they will become more and more active.

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow, that one did inhale that crank bait !!! Need some needle nose to get that back. Are you fishing from the bank ? Do you catch and release or are you eating them ?

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
wow, that one did inhale that crank bait !!! Need some needle nose to get that back. Are you fishing from the bank ? Do you catch and release or are you eating them ?
Needle nose were about useless, had to break out the pliers, and man-alive was that S-eye raging pissed off...

Catch and release 90% of em, just not into (eating) fish that much, outside of Perch that is...:)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
35 eyes on the new Big Joshy Injected 2.75 swims in the last two days 4 hours and 20 minutes of fishing. Might be starting;)Midday bite in heat and dead calm water with shad around got me 26 yesterday 9 this afternoon wind messed bite up scattered bait and then the eyes. Still was a fun couple hours. All but 6 eaters put back for later fall excitement.

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
35 eyes on the new Big Joshy Injected 2.75 swims in the last two days 4 hours and 20 minutes of fishing. Might be starting;)Midday bite in heat and dead calm water with shad around got me 26 yesterday 9 this afternoon wind messed bite up scattered bait and then the eyes. Still was a fun couple hours. All but 6 eaters put back for later fall excitement.
wow, I haven't even caught 35 saugeye in my lifetime!!!!!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
No it is the way they are produced instead of pouring plastic in mold it is pushed into a mold hand injected instead of poured.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts